Help Me decide to become a Vendor please - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Help Me decide to become a Vendor please

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

wow BERSK thanks for the input. and thats exactly what it is now i build 4 out of one stick and on the the 4th i buy another stick, and yes i know all about the working a lot thing thats how it has been the last couple months using craigslist, work work work, but then sometimes it gets really inconsistent two or someone flakes and i wind up sitting on a bumper for a week or two and just sell it for cheap because i get tired of tripping over it, and realistically right now being laid off and going back to school i have the time to put towards this whole endeavor and truthfully what i am working towards is being able to have enough money coming in so that a buddy of my can run it during the week once i finish school and have my new job( allowing him the time and freedom to go back to college) that is the plan anyway but hell if it works out school might just be a waste, but im living in the present and opening a vendor account just seems like the logical way to go about this and im not trying to get rich truthfully, i just really like working on stuff, and being able to look at something at the end of the day and feel as if i were productive while not having to listen to my boss just makes it all the better, thats why i smiled and said cya when i got laid off. haha anyway its still going to be a week or two till i pony up the doe for a vendor account but im feeling as if it is a smart move at this point

again thanks BERSK and im still open to anyones opinions and ideas on the matter

thanks again

DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

another thing that i am kind of concerned with and maybe someone could give me some insight, but this is how i imagined working, when someone orders something then it gets built, not the other way around of having a bunch on hand and just shipping it? im not sure which way would work best obviously have a bunch on stock would have a larger initial value but either way they get built one way or another i suppose, or would i just include something on my website that states it will ship in ( however it long it takes to build) days or something like that?
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #18
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

BESRK is so swamped at this point that he has lead times. So he builds to order. If you fill that void being the XJ market, you could get small numbers ready ahead of time so that you have product ready for delivery. Being able to get products to members quickly so the word can travel JF is a good thing. Maybe later you would end up working by order, but to start out, some stock should work out well.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #19
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I'm sorry but you really need to round off those tabs for the D-Rings.

You will hit things with them...if that thing is your knee when your walking by it will still hurt but it won't be bleeding...and if it's a rock it will slide up and down it much easier..and less chance of busting knuckles when removing/installing D ring or tow strap....

sorry...sharp corners make me cringe.

My advice would be to investigate what your competition will be, and decide if you can be competitively priced and still make a profit. It's been my experience that many "web wheelers" have no problem buying a polished turd that is 75 bucks cheaper than a well built functional and strong "fab item" that might not have a awesome paint job.

I have to paint my armor once or twice a year anyway....why do I care about the quality powder coat??? I have yet to find a rock that won't remove it just as fast as rattle can black.
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

It is hard to keep a stock of things to sell. You can however have many of the standard components on hand and assemble them as you get orders. Any of us in busniess also need to consider if we can afford having an inventory that may or may not sell. My own experience is that if you build an excellent quality product many people will wait a bit longer to get. If you promise a delivery date in 2 weeks make it though or you'll get lumped into the category with other vendors that have disappointed customers. Don't promise what you can't fullfill.

By the way I am glad to see you pursue this. You will need encouragement, trust me I know.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A bit of advice as a buyer of custom fabricated products online. If your doing custom made to order (as I would do if/when I get there, instead of selling a stock product) if you get swamped, or get behind, dont take any more orders! Get what you have done and shipped. People like nates and AJ can get backed up and it take months to get a product because they have so many orders, or personal problems (because they are pretty much 1-2 man operations). As a consumer I would rather wait to purchase a product, then order one and then end up waiting a long time to get it.

Other than that, it looks like you have some skill and some tools, and I would say you can easily sell stuff online.
You mentioned getting a website, godaddy.com is my personal favorite place for domains and hosting, and I have used quite a few different places. And if your worried, you can build a good looking website off a template with a shopping cart pretty easily, even if you dont know much about web design. I am also sure there are a number of nice folks on here than can help, and know a bit more than me.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #22
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

The XJ ones look awesome to me but what do i know i'm a WJ guy.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #23
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

BERSK said alot fo what i would of said,so i'll add to that part ...

When in even a small shop/fab biz you will have to keep up with customers wanting a product NOW,you may have better or equally built products as you're competition ,but someone waiting say a few weeks to get it to their door may end up going to someone else who has it already in stock and shipped quickly.

In order to keep this from happening you will have to have a good sized shop dedicated for the fab/production of the products..which will include a few if not alot more fab tables setup with JIGS to put you're fab peices all together and weld up and keep within the design limitations as to fitment of the different vehicles and designs.

Once you have a design and price alot of people will want,you will get FLOODED with customers,but building/selling only to the few that you're capabilities let you do and folks not getting the product and have a negative affect on reveiws and opinions of you're bussines.

In just MY opinion only,i would build what you are capable of for now,then put them up for sale ONLY when they are done and only keep "requests" as to what other may want that you don't have already built.

Build up you're revenue with the profit you make,and invest it all back into equipment and a shop and materials,when you have everything you know you can produce quantity in a reasonable time and keep people happy,then i'd go for a vendor acount and a biz license where required..even selling on the internet the IRS can nail you're babbalooka to wall if they see alot of sales coming from you without a tax I.D...ask me how i know....lol..

You're products look real nice..good work

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #24
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
IRS can nail you're babbalooka to wall if they see alot of sales coming from you without a tax I.D...ask me how i know....lol..
See i was under the impression that anything through paypal was nontaxable at this point ( i have herd word though that once your paypal account passes 5,000 a quarter or month not entirely sure will double check that shortly that then you must pay the necessary tax on anything over that 5,000 i do not believe this has gone into effect yet) but yes not get shnockered by the feds is something i need to be aware of so thank you for re instilling that in my mind.

another thing is i think the best way to go about is kind of a combined idea of everyones thoughts and that being start with a small stock of stuff on hand and post those as a immediate shipping kind of deal, and while waiting for those to sell continue to build products, hopefully putting new products on my own shelf while shipping out the ones that have been sitting there is ideally how i would like the operation to work, which again brings up another question, is there a way to build a website were the stock of what i have can be viewed by the visitors, or would something more like an ebay add ( not the fact of bidding on it) but just posting it to sell once its completed be another option for a website, i do believe i will get started on a website this weekend and i am fairly certain i will be using godaddy.com they seem to have the best deals. and see i have read mixed reviews and JCR, and AJ's (those smaller companies) and it seems pretty split i mean alot of people are thrilled about their product and others are just plain pissed off, i dont know if comes down to poor craftsmenship when they get behind in their shops, or if it just people being overly picky, and i have read some threads on JF were people were extremely upset with the JCR boys, over some stuff some major and some minor, but the thing i guess im afraid of is building a bad reputation and not because im not confident in my work, because i am, but because of those nit pickers out there. the guys who jack up their front ends and stock bumpers because they got in an accident or what have you and then when you send them a bumper and it doesnt sit level they are all up on you when realistically its not your product its the fact the front of their jeep is jacked up ( i only say this because alot of y buddys jeeps we have put bumpers on have to be tweaked from mine( with no front end damage ever) to make it look aesthetically pleasing and not like a drunken monkey built it. or the kind of guys who will see bur left over from drilling the holes and jump your **** about it. not saying thats what i produce but honestly i can see a little detail like that getting overlooked, when your shop is getting swamped. so thats were i am now, and like i said not trying to get rich, turning a small profit would be desirable no doubt and turning it into a bumper empire would be well impressive none the least for a kid who barely skated by highschool! but thats were i am at now

Any more input is appreciated greatly!

thanks guys
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #25
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

another thing that concerns me and im not sure if it should is shipping, obviously people pay the shipping but i am worried that the high price of it will detour alot of people, anyone have any input on this subject either?
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #26
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRoark89 View Post
See i was under the impression that anything through paypal was nontaxable at this point ( i have herd word though that once your paypal account passes 5,000 a quarter or month not entirely sure will double check that shortly that then you must pay the necessary tax on anything over that 5,000 i do not believe this has gone into effect yet) but yes not get shnockered by the feds is something i need to be aware of so thank you for re instilling that in my mind.

another thing is i think the best way to go about is kind of a combined idea of everyones thoughts and that being start with a small stock of stuff on hand and post those as a immediate shipping kind of deal, and while waiting for those to sell continue to build products, hopefully putting new products on my own shelf while shipping out the ones that have been sitting there is ideally how i would like the operation to work, which again brings up another question, is there a way to build a website were the stock of what i have can be viewed by the visitors, or would something more like an ebay add ( not the fact of bidding on it) but just posting it to sell once its completed be another option for a website, i do believe i will get started on a website this weekend and i am fairly certain i will be using godaddy.com they seem to have the best deals. and see i have read mixed reviews and JCR, and AJ's (those smaller companies) and it seems pretty split i mean alot of people are thrilled about their product and others are just plain pissed off, i dont know if comes down to poor craftsmenship when they get behind in their shops, or if it just people being overly picky, and i have read some threads on JF were people were extremely upset with the JCR boys, over some stuff some major and some minor, but the thing i guess im afraid of is building a bad reputation and not because im not confident in my work, because i am, but because of those nit pickers out there. the guys who jack up their front ends and stock bumpers because they got in an accident or what have you and then when you send them a bumper and it doesnt sit level they are all up on you when realistically its not your product its the fact the front of their jeep is jacked up ( i only say this because alot of y buddys jeeps we have put bumpers on have to be tweaked from mine( with no front end damage ever) to make it look aesthetically pleasing and not like a drunken monkey built it. or the kind of guys who will see bur left over from drilling the holes and jump your **** about it. not saying thats what i produce but honestly i can see a little detail like that getting overlooked, when your shop is getting swamped. so thats were i am now, and like i said not trying to get rich, turning a small profit would be desirable no doubt and turning it into a bumper empire would be well impressive none the least for a kid who barely skated by highschool! but thats were i am at now

Any more input is appreciated greatly!

thanks guys
AS a customer of AJ when he was behind, and had personal problems. I would say that his craftmanship was as good or better than I was hoping for. He eve threw in a some detail work because I had to wait a long time (4-5 months). I couldn't be happer with the bumper and wouldn't hesitate to buy from again. I would just check to see if he is caught up or not .

But...
Selling, lots of people use Ebay for their store front. You can set up a store, list your items as buy it now, and include how much you have to sell. Right above the buy it now button it will say how many are available, and the seller can input a quantity to buy.

Any good shopping cart software or other E-store software (which you should beable to get through godaddy) will allow you to set stock amounts. And will only allow that many to be sold (listing the dreaded Out Of Stock when the amount has been sold)
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #27
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The bottom line is no matter what anyone "thinks" because of what eBay or others say because of "thought"laws or processes...it doesnt matter the quantity of what you are selling..it is the "value" of so much money being made in a quarterly period being made "anywhere",online or even a place such as craiglist that IRS will step in and "contact' you on so called "non taxable transaction"..it goes state by state as to what the laws read..i'm just trying to tell you to cover you're" Babbalooka" before you get into a mess that will cost you a fine from the IRS AND the lawyer's fees..again..take it from someone who knows....

I am by far from tryin to detour you from starting such a good money biz..but you need to study and research what limitations you have in you're state,fed and retail laws in your areas to how much volume and money limit you are allowed for a limit....now a days the economy is so a bad the IRS is LOOKING for a reason to collect money from anyone to help balance their mistakes ..........

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 07-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #28
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It doesn't matter WHERE you do business. You can sell items in a storefront or on eBay. Income is income is income. The same rules apply.
this seems to be the general consensus so thats what i will be doing, keeping track of every penny and there seem to be alot of programs offered by the IRS and various other providers to keep accurate books and total the amount the feds take, one question i did not find tho was state income tax, if selling via the Internet does someone have to add there states sales tax? like in Washington its about 8%, my step dad runs a ligitement buisness right off ebay selling custom pistol grips, mostly for tournament pre charged pneumatic pistols but none the less he makes pretty good money doing it and he has been doing it for almost 5 years on the side and has yet to get a buisness license or claim it for that matter. so i am at a cross roads here but i think i will take the high road and pay the feds what they want so i don't get hassled in the future

and kettles yes i can imagine the craftsmenship didnt suffer, it was JCR i was really reading the mixed reviews about. regardless i dont ever want to be 4-5 monthes behind on orders, that would be entirely unfair to the consumer and that is something that terrifies me about jumping head first into this, so i am pretty sure i would have to install one of those dreaded out of stock things on my web page. realistically its the only way i feel i could keep up and stay away from getting swamped liked that, i have times myself and 1 8 hour day i can build a bumper for a little less than 60$ in material and consumables ( thats the closest number i could accuretly come up with) im sure as time goes on the number will vary and become more solid for each type of bumper.

Quote:
Ok I'm sorry but you really need to round off those tabs for the D-Rings.
and i have considered doing that but i just havnt i have also considered building padeyes that just weld to the front as opposed to both sides of the tube like i do now, but would have to get them CNC cut to make it worth my time, right now i just get a 10' stick of 3/4" plate and drill a 1" hole in it, after cutting them to 5" lengths, pretty cut and dry and simple.

keep the discussion going guys i have never been so into a thread in my life. really getting alot of good advice and would greatly appreciate more!
Unread 07-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #29
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

My take on "waiting times"...

At one time, I would make a bumper, list it on eBay, sell it and ship it. That method of selling killed me financially. I was living a "feast or famine" existence. In order to survive, I had to be able to take paid orders and use that $$$ to bulk purchase everything. I could then do the mass production thing.. cut 10 bumper blanks, cut 20 mounts, cut 20 clevis mounts...etc. It just made for a much smoother day to day operation.

I understand the negative side to taking orders with a lengthy backlog.. I've been living that life for the past 2 years myself. One thing I will say is to just be absolutely up front about the wait time... no matter how long the wait or how badly you want the sale. Be up front or it will come back to haunt you. Remember, in the fabrication business, you ARE your reputation.

I keep a spreadsheet that has all my orders/work layed out day by day. I know exactly what I MUST get done on a particular day to meet my suspenses. If someone asks me about a bumper, I tell them.. "my wait time is approx 8 weeks from payment to shipping." If they walk they walk. No hard feelings.. that's the nature of the beast. However, if they're okay with the wait and they say, "Okay.. here's the payment, put me on the list.", I check my spreadsheet and give them a "hard" shipping date.. and I meet it.

My motto, "the only way we won't meet a suspense is if I'm dead or dying... period." In the past 3 years, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've missed a shipping date.. those were only by 1-2 days and were due to machine breakdowns. I actually had my old plasma cutter go belly up on a Friday afternoon with a full weekend of work ahead of me. I had my wife drive 40 miles to a nearby town and buy the only Hypertherm I could find.. it happened to be a PM1250 and cost me $3200.. that was every penny I had in the world at the time but I had to lay it all on the line for that weekend's worth of work.

As for pricing.. be prepared to suffer while you "pay your dues". You must be cheap enough to entice customers into "taking a risk" on you because the price is so good. The key is to get your stuff out there and have people "spread the word". As long as you maintain a good reputation, your sales will probably expand on a "J curve" via word of mouth. You'll find your "lead time" will become the regulator. The longer the lead time, the slower your sales.. the shorter your lead time, the quicker your sales.. it'll sort of "slinky" between the two extremes a bit. Stay up on your market research.. eBay is a good source of info. Know what the other guys are making and charging and come in lower on price or higher on quality.. or both.

Last point and I'll shut up... Know EXACTLY how much you're spending. Don't "guestimate". You need to know how much $$ you're spending per inch of steel, how much each nut, bolt washer costs, etc. Don't forget consumables, welding wire, gas, electricity, equipment lifespan (amortize the lifespan), grinding disks, printing paper, tape, bubble wrap... toilet paper for the shop toilet... every single thing. If you have to pay for it, you have to pass the cost on to the customer... and then try to tack profit ontop of that..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #30
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought ...
You mentioned a powder coat vendor you have in mind...

Years ago when i was living in South Bend,Indiana hangin iron on the new GM Hummer Plant in the area for 2 years...i built a powder coating oven for a local bike builder on a low budget.

He went to a local scrap yard and bought 6 sheets of 3/16" 8'x8'x4' steel.
I welded a box out of it all on 5 sides with the front open,and cut and built doors for the front side.

He bought 3 used junky kitchen ovens for practicly nothing,took the oven elements out of them and used the components to put inside box,so he could set the heat range and let it get to temp .

The only thing that REALLY cost him was insulation and spot welded tabs to hold it on the outside to keep the heat in and from making the garage an oven too..lol

You can be innovative to what you're needs are for it,we built a slide type rack inside on the top side to hang the frames and other components to make it easy to put things in and out.

Just figured i'd give another idea on saving money on something by doing it yourself and maybe pass the savings on to you're customers.
Powder coating is not hard at all to do yourself once you have all the equipment.Eastwood sells pretty reasonably priced starter kit for powder coating

Never forget 9/11

Last edited by Ironworker709; 07-18-2010 at 11:15 AM..

Tags
building bumpers , bumper sales , making bumpers , selling , vendor , vendor account

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.