Help Me decide to become a Vendor please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Help Me decide to become a Vendor please

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Help Me decide to become a Vendor please

Ok guys i have been trying to convince myself one way or another to become a vendor on JF, i have been using craigslist for the last 2 monthes or so since i have been laid off as a carpentar and i am just getting tired of all the flaky people on it below are a few pictures of various bumpers i have built take a look at them and let me know if you think becoming a vendor on JF would be a good idea.

NOTE: Do not ask about prices, do not PM me i dont want the thread to get shut down by the boss man for doing this, i am i just looking for honest opinions if you think becoming a vendor would be a good idea I AM NOT A VENDOR YET SO I WILL NOT DISCUSS PRICES OR SHIPPING OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE AT THIS TIME!!

thanks in advance for any input, also if anyone has any tips to running a small buisness to im all ears,

Toyota bumper

jeep rock sliders

chevy rear bumper

Tahoe light bar ( i know you cant see the light tabs but there there, mounts with the original bolts for the license plate allowing for lights with out any modification to the original bumper

Jeep Cherokee Rear Bumpers

DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Some of the front Bumpers

Unread 07-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 07-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep Roof Rack

Keep in mind to these are just some of the bumpers i have built and the ones that seem to have some sort of flaw in the finish or i beleive i saw a picture i posted that had a gouge in front of it from a grinder, are bumpers that are from someone i know personally and most of my friends are extremely inpatient and dont beleive in fixing small little problems
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

looks like you have quite the portfolio and some good designs. I like that they arnt all just the standard 2x6 tubing that alot of guys use, also if you have access try making one out of diamond plate I really like mine and think it looks great. Over all I think you have something to offer on here as a vender and if you can be competitive with your pricing you will do well.
Sorry no advice on running a small buisness, one thing to think of is your finishes that you offer. weather you set up a painting booth, or getting in touch with a local powder coater, finish is a big part of the fab process as I find out every time I make something. check one of my threds if you want to see the diamond plate before you spend cash on it just MHO.
Good luck.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

yes im in touch with a local powder coater, and just doing what at a time would not be cost effective but doing a large order would be, i will check your build thread when i get out of this awful math class and back home to my computer, thanks for the kind words.
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dude, holy crap. Those are great. Any with a winch front bumper for an XJ??
Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

When my Jeep stops making strange noises, I become concerned. That usually means I have to go back and find whatever fell off.
Bane7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think your stuff looks good and I think that you would definately get some sales online. My only advice is to agree about the finishes being a big selling point and little extras. For example being able to take off a D ring and add a hitch reciever ect. Little stuff like that will boost sales
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

your stuff looks nice, i would buy it if the price was right
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Dude, holy crap. Those are great. Any with a winch front bumper for an XJ??
only ones i have with winches are on some of my budys XJ's and like i said they are impatient little children when it comes to that kind of stuff and they never do or let me help them do anything correctly all the way through. so its really nothing i want to post and say i helped build it, but theyre strong just ugly haha

Quote:
For example being able to take off a D ring and add a hitch reciever ect. Little stuff like that will boost sales
thanks for the advice im in the process of picking host site ie. go daddy and there are a few, and then i will begin building my website, and that will definitely be one of those things ill be sure to add onto it so thank you

also just a little blurp ( dont stop the thread on account of this please just stating a little input) my rear bumpers on craigslist usually sell for 225$ just the standard ones with padeyes for shackles, but the swinging tire gate i got 500 for, and my front ones with just the simple push bar and light tabs generally sell for 250, and the price goes up a little as custom mods are done to them, so i can forsee the prices going very far up from that or at all really, unless i decide to start powder coating them, also thinking of just sending them unfinished i am undecided on that. so the prices would stay right around that but then one would have to factor in im sure 50$ or a little more to ship it.
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRoark89 View Post
only ones i have with winches are on some of my budys XJ's and like i said they are impatient little children when it comes to that kind of stuff and they never do or let me help them do anything correctly all the way through. so its really nothing i want to post and say i helped build it, but theyre strong just ugly haha
Basically, what I want, (and have been unable to find) is a winch bumper where the winch sits down in, well protected, like in this one:

But still has the wrap-around protection (and look) my current grill guard offers

EDIT: This is the best I've found so far.

PS:I do like the approach angle this one offers.
Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

When my Jeep stops making strange noises, I become concerned. That usually means I have to go back and find whatever fell off.
Bane7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ya i mean anything can be built man, its just as simple as that, you can literally build anything you want, the practicality of being able to duplicate something like that though is probably why no manufacturer offers it and you would need to find a custom shop to meet your needs, but with that being said it totally looks sick and maybe when i got the doe lying around for a winch thats the style i would like to go with as well. another reason i havnt really built any winch related stuff is that every body who wants a winch aslo wants the frame tie in plates and to me it seems like a big hassle because i dont have the ability to set up a cnc plasma to just cut it for me, i could make a jig pretty easy i suppose and torch cut it and clean it up but at this point its not so much an option, but yes thats the main reason is because when i tell me people i dont build the tie in brackets they kinda dip away. but the big one in one of the pictures were it has the whole in the front for the fairlead is probably the closest thing i have built to one and it came out pretty descent i think it wrapped around the fender as well following the cut line on someones jeep( it was custom though so i would have to re layout the measurements for a stock fender.
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You'll never know about selling till you give it a try. If you do you'd better make sure that you are ready to be at the mercy of your customers and their comments on here. You treat them right and build quality stuff and you'll have a great thing going but if you treat people poorly or sell junk you'll get flamed.

You projects look very well built. As far as the comments about not having a cnc plasma table, find a good reputable shop that does have one and have them cut what you need. You may not make as much on the job as you like but you'll be building a reputation and customer base. Then when you can afford it buy your own. Everyone that owns a business has a network of people and places that can help them, cultivate yours and you'll have a great resource. You never know dude, this may be a chance for self-employement or at least a great part time business. I'd say go for it. All you have to lose is the $300.00 vendor fee but you've got way more than that to gain. Keep us posted and post more pictures of the work.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Of course I'm gonna say open a Vendor Account.. But I really do believe in it. Although I post and Moderate as "BESRK" on here, I have a vendor account as well. Even if I weren't a Moderator, I'd pony up for the Vendor Account simply because it's an awesome advertising platform and a great way to reach out and pimp your stuff to other Jeepers.
However, as mentioned.. you've got to be willing to lay it on the line with your customers. Honest, consistent, fair business practices coupled with good communication are the name of the game.

Also, selling bumpers is the easy part. Trying to make a profit while doing it is a whole nuther ballgame.

Things I try to work toward in an effort to make a profit...

Speed.. Not talking about sloppy building practices. I'm talking about trimming "fat". Mass production of parts will help you cut time. If you don't have CNC ability, look at outsourcing to help. Sometimes, it will make you more money to pay a CNC cutter to make parts for you instead of trying to cut/drill/grind things by hand.. and the parts will look better which will only help your reputation. Many of the big fab shops outsource a bunch of their cutting/bending because it makes them money.

Bulk Purchasing... you gotta spend money to make money. 99% of your vendors will give you a price break on larger purchases. I realize most people can't start off spending thousands of dollars monthly on material/consumables/equipment. However, it is vital to turn the money you do make right back into the endeavor. I used to buy one stick of 2x4 at a time.. I'd make 4 bumpers from it. On the 4th bumper, I'd buy another stick. However, by purchasing several sticks at a time, I got a much better deal. That means more profit without having to raise your price.. which makes you more competitive... which allows you to sell more.. which allows you to dump more money back into the business.. and so on.

Alot of my buddies think I make a killing doing my bumpers/cages. I tell them, "I don't make alot of money per hour.. I just work alot of hours." Be prepared to kill yourself with work for a long time. Granted, the longer I do it, the more efficient I get.. and the more $$ I make.

But.. um.. yeah.. get a vendor account

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those are some sweet designs. I think there is a real market for quality XJ bumpers and sliders. BESRK makes great stuff, but he doesn't do XJ. He also gives good advice there.

I am interested to see how it turns out for you.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building bumpers , bumper sales , making bumpers , selling , vendor , vendor account

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.