Help me build this bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Help me build this bumper

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
theblackjeep98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Help me build this bumper

saw this crazy rear bumper for a jk. wanna build something similar to it for my TJ. How hard you guys think this would be. and any recommendations?

ITS SOOOO SEXYYY

(Sold) 67 CJ5 "sheldon"
My V8 Swap Thread
theblackjeep98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Those are not really considered "bumpers". It's just a fancy swing out tire carrier. Also worth noting, with that setup, sience it's only attached to the body, even though it dose appear to have armor, the force from any impact to that tire carrier is going to be transfered directly to the body.
At any rate, all that's really needed to build someting like that is, a tubing bender, and a welder. Things like a notcher and plasma cutter would make it easier, but you can do the same thing with a cut off wheel on a grinder, it'll just take more time.
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That is one sweet sum gun! I've been planning on making one similar to that real soon. Instead of the fancy, expensive heim joints, Im gonna use shackle bushings.
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

IT loos pretty nice, but I would think that its adding a lot of pressure on the body, even though it looks like they tried to spread it out. The heims would be expensive too, I think your shackle bushings would be a good choice, it looks like it would swing out but it looks like they have bolts going through on all four mounts, so youd have to carry the wrenches for it too lol.
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I bet if you were to swing that carrier out all the way and put some downward force on it you would see the gap between the body and tailgate widen.

Looks neat but IMO, not the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
theblackjeep98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I do know the rear corners have either 1/8 or like 1/4 body armor so I suppose that would help?
(Sold) 67 CJ5 "sheldon"
My V8 Swap Thread
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackjeep98 View Post
Well I do know the rear corners have either 1/8 or like 1/4 body armor so I suppose that would help?
Yes but you have to realize that armor is being held in place by SHEET METAL. Go check out the "carnage wrecks" section of JF, you will find that the armor tends to tear through what it was trying to protect when under immense amounts of stress
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
theblackjeep98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler

Yes but you have to realize that armor is being held in place by SHEET METAL. Go check out the "carnage wrecks" section of JF, you will find that the armor tends to tear through what it was trying to protect when under immense amounts of stress
Yes but I wouldn't be running a 40 inch tire or anything. Would there be a way to reinforce it?
(Sold) 67 CJ5 "sheldon"
My V8 Swap Thread
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Built something like that for my dodge a while back.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Just build a simple tube rear bumper and mount the swing out to the corner of the bumper. you could attach it to the body or another post on the opposite end of the bumper. Just let the bumper transfer the weight to the frame rather than the tub. You could attach that style of swingout just as easily as the other swingout designs.

My $0.02, I have a CJ with the factory spare rack, mounted in two places only to the tub, and it has split the tub ahead of where it mounts. And the CJ tubs were much thicker metal than the new jeeps are. Move that weight to the frame. Regardless of the tire size.

All that said, that is a pretty cool setup. would make it hard to steal that spare if that was made to lock in the closed position.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.