Hawse Fairlead Dims and Placement on Bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Hawse Fairlead Dims and Placement on Bumper

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hawse Fairlead Dims and Placement on Bumper

Looking get a little bit of info. Haven't been able to find anything on the 'net, but I'm still looking. I'm currently modeling my front bumper in Solidworks so that I can get my steel cut in the near future.

Does anyone have any recommendations for placement of a Hawse style fairlead? I'm going to get a Warn winch that comes with this style since I'll be running synthetic line. I know they have a 10" bolt pattern, but I don't know the bolt size. I also don't know the overall dimensions of the fairlead or the recommended slot size that the cable will pass through.

For placement, how critical is the vertical placement of the fairlead with respect to the winch? My intended winch (M8000) will feed off of the bottom, so I know I want it lower than the centerline of the winch.

Unread 01-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

They usually use 3/8 bolts to secure them to the fairlead mount. If you don't have an answer for the placement of it by tomorrow afternoon I can give you the measurements off of mine after class.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My apologies. It's a 7/16 bolt. The best i can measure is the center line of the opening is 2.125" off of the base that winch sits on. The opening on the fairlead mount is approximately 1.8" x 8.625" with radii in each corner. The opening in the fairlead will obviously be smaller.

Edit: These are all off of a Savvy fairlead mount.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Why not just buy the winch now and use it for getting your dimensions and mock up?
You may want to change your plans on your bumper design once you have it on hand, I did.

I also picked up a smittybilt hawse aluminum fairlead for mock up just in case go to a synthetic line later. It is the same bolt pattern as the m8000 roller fairlead. You will want the winch with the line on it to determine the set height of the fairlead anyways.

Here I was using the winch and fairlead to determine how high to put the fairlead mounting tabs.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotag View Post
Why not just buy the winch now and use it for getting your dimensions and mock up?
This is the best bet. Have both the winch and the fairlead in-hand prior to doing the CAD drawing. There are different shapes/sizes of aluminum hawse fairleads. Only common dimension (with certainty) would be the 10" bolt centers..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.