Has anyone used the Rokmen diy bumper kits? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Has anyone used the Rokmen diy bumper kits?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
NMLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone used the Rokmen diy bumper kits?

I am interested in using Rokmen's do it yourself bumper kits because they would save me a ton of time and the price is right. But, is it to sweet of a deal... I want to weld in my winch mount to the front bumper, and add a tire carrier to the rear at some point. Btw I am a decent welder with a 220 arc,110 mig, torch, grinder, and chop saw. Thanks Cody
Front bumper $109 http://www.rokmen.com/products/diy_f...nt_bumper.html
Rear bumper $154 http://www.rokmen.com/products/diy_f...nt_bumper.html

Last edited by NMLJ; 11-11-2008 at 07:20 AM..
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
CJ7Pilot

If you've got all that equipment, buying the kit wouldn't really save you that much time.

You could knock out a front bumper like that in half a day with about $40 in steel.

If you're not really in to fab work, though, the kit looks okay.

Good luck!
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
1993redjeepyj

not going to lie, never seen that kit before, but i have been looking into building bumpers for my yj. and that is an amazing price
1993redjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm about to bite on the front bumper kit, but I don't like the mounts they have. I think I will cut the top off the mount and weld a winch plate on much like my buddies Jeeperman bumper.

I do like the pre-cut kit...easy!
Unread 11-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I'm about to bite on the front bumper kit, but I don't like the mounts they have. I think I will cut the top off the mount and weld a winch plate on much like my buddies Jeeperman bumper.

I do like the pre-cut kit...easy!
I wondered if I would see you in this thread...

The only issue I see with that kit are the front mounts - as Dogman mentioned he's going to basically copy and paste the top plate of my Jeeperman bumper to replace/subsidize the front mount and add an integral winch mount as well.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
NMLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I was thinking of adding a 3/8" plate to the top of the front bumper for my winch mount. So maybe I could trim the top off the mounts like you guys suggested and use the plate as the attechment point between the bumper and frame rails. Does the round crossmember interfere with winch mounting holes? Figured I could mount winch before I install bumper if the crossmember only restrects access to the bolt heads with a wrench.
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would go 1/4" for the plate, 3/8" is super thick. If I get this, I'm not sure I'll use the provided mounts at all. BTW, shipping to Boise was $26 according to the shopping cart. Not too bad.
Unread 11-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Something else you could do with the Rokmen is instead of cutting off the top of the mount just add a "filler" plate to the top of the bumper between the mounts then mount your winch plate to the top of that; this would prevent the gap that would be caused by the mounts.

As far as shipping goes that's not bad, now I'm really interested to know how much the parts would cost - maybe if I have time I'll make a phone call...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.