Hardtop hoist? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Hardtop hoist?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Noclrnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hardtop hoist?

I have a 95 yj and it's almost time to take the top off. My question is could I screw a eyelet into a rafter and lift it off with a boat winch mounted to the wall? I have the "t" setup from an actual hoist but I think the come along is a pretty sorry piece of equipment. I have a hardtop cart so I wouldn't be storing the top at the ceiling. Will the eyelet hold up just to get the top off and get it dropped onto my cart?

Noclrnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

Seen this before a while back. Yeah the right size eyelet ( I call them eye lags, like lag bolts) should work.
Iirc the way I saw it done was having four strings going to each corner of the hard top.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
sketchy
1985 CJ7 

I have an unfinished attic, 2x4 roof trusses, and drywall on the ceiling. So I put 2x lumber in the attic across the trusses and ran all-thread through the drywall up to the 2x. This is to spread the load over more than one truss and also so I don't have to try to center a lag screw on the 1.5" wide truss.

I did this for shelving several years ago. I have a hoist also but it's never been out of the box
sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy View Post
I have an unfinished attic, 2x4 roof trusses, and drywall on the ceiling. So I put 2x lumber in the attic across the trusses and ran all-thread through the drywall up to the 2x. This is to spread the load over more than one truss and also so I don't have to try to center a lag screw on the 1.5" wide truss.

I did this for shelving several years ago. I have a hoist also but it's never been out of the box
I did this;

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/Hardtop_Hoist.htm

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
sketchy
1985 CJ7 

That is cool. I like putting it in a carport. Of course I live out on the prairie where the wind will flip a top off 8" concrete blocks so I'd need a few straps. But it would be out of the way and safe from the mower.
sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy View Post
That is cool. I like putting it in a carport. Of course I live out on the prairie where the wind will flip a top off 8" concrete blocks so I'd need a few straps. But it would be out of the way and safe from the mower.
It needs to be secured to the two bars holding it up. Maybe some cross bindings to keep it from swinging too much??

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
fireman3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Make sure the cable you use is in good shape.
I built a lift recently and used some old cable to lift with. Long story short, I now have a soft top.
fireman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.