Hard Tonneau Covers?? PICS?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Hard Tonneau Covers?? PICS??

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
steve76t

Hard Tonneau Covers?? PICS??

Hi All:

I've got an '01 Wrangler & am looking to build a hard tonneau cover with as little cost as possible. I've got a couple ideas, but was hoping to see what others have done.

I'm thinking of using 1/2 or 3/4" plywood, using a couple of the bolts from the hardtop to secure it, add a hing in the middle to make it easy to fold up for easy removal, and a couple eye bolts underneath to help secure the folding part, and a few more eyebolts on top for securing other stuff to the top of it.

I'm sure someone else has done this, but I can't find any examples in my searches. Your help sure would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Steve

steve76t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I thinking that using 1/4 " plywood with bracing would be lighter than a solid piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood. Now if you are planning to use the top to carry stuff on then that is another story.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
steve76t

I may want to carry something on top & 1/4" may be too light for that. I'm leanin' towards using 1/2" plywood with a couple 2x4's for bracing. We'll see...

In the mean time, someone out there has to have something to show off. I can't imagine I'm the only doing something like this.
Unread 06-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
steve76t

bump...
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Here's a link to my write up for my "storage system". I went a little farther than just a tonneau cover, but I wanted to still be able to put the rear seat in, as well as have more storage options.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/y...ite-up-596248/
Although I am currently working on rebuilding it out of metal, the origional version was made of 3/4" plywood, and covered with bedliner. It held up fairly well that way for around 3 years, just a few nicks in the bedliner from throwing stuff on top of the tonneau section.

As far as weight carrying, I added a couple pieces of 1" angle iron to the under side of the tonneau section for reinforcement. The largest/heaviest thing I ever had on top of the tonneau was a garden tiller. it held that weight just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.