Harbor Freight vise repair (thread question) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Harbor Freight vise repair (thread question)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Harbor Freight vise repair (thread question)

Ok, so I had a Harbor freight vise that I used on my bench, and I was not very nice to it . Anyway, the threads on the sleeve to clamp the vise stripped out a while back, and the vise had pretty much been designated boat-anchor for a while, being kicked around the floor of my garage.

Today I decided to take it apart and see what kind of damage is done, and see if I can fix it. The threaded rod looks fine, but its not a normal thread type and I thought someone on here could help me figure out what it is so I could find a nut or something to make a working vise again.

here is the rod

The rod is about .57" or 37/64th in outer diameter, and the threads are square, approximately .07" wide (making about 7 threads per inch or so).
Any help would be appriciated, I figured this is the kind of thing McMaster-Carr has, but I don't know what I am looking for. I have heard of Acme threaded rods, is that what this is? The size is odd too.

_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes it is what is known as Acme Thread.
As for the size and a source for a nut

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I am baffled by the size of it. 37/64ths is not close enough to 1/2" or 5/8" (the closest sizes McMaster-Carr has) for it to be that is it? Metric is 12 and 16mm, but this rod is 14.5mm.

Acme rod/nuts aren't terribly cheap, or I would just order a 5/8 x 8 nut and see if it worked. Damn you HF for your odd size screw!
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.