Harbor Freight Cargo Rack Hack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Harbor Freight Cargo Rack Hack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
ofcrtj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Harbor Freight Cargo Rack Hack

So I was thinking of a cheap way to gain some storage space and be able to keep my backseat in my TJ. So I had an idea to make/hack a Harbor Freight tow hitch rack.

First I stared with this
harbor_rack.jpg
http://500-lb-capacity-deluxe-steel-cargo-carrier-69623

This rack comes in 5 pieces. Two halves of the basket, and square piece of steel that would slide into the tow hitch. Then the two sides of the basket bolt together through the square piece, and two support pieces that go across the top of the basket for rigidity.
rack1.jpg

So I set the square piece aside and placed the two sides of the basket together. I then got shorter bolts and bolted the two sides of the basket directly together.
rack2.jpg

After the two parts of the basket were bolted together I had to drill more holes for the two support pieces because the ones that were pre-drilled in the basket are to close together since the center square piece is now missing.
rack3.jpg

After the basket was all bolted together I took some old square 1" stock and cut 4 pieces. Now I don't have pictures of this so I will try my best to describe it. I cut the square stock into 4 pieces with two pieces being longer than the other two. I then bolted them together with a pivot point with the longer pieces on the "top" with the shorter pieces "pivoting" towards the bottom. I then bolted the two longer pieces to the bottom of the basket.

I then took four pipe clamps similar to this
clamp.jpg
and put them in the four corners of the rear of the roll bar. I then cut the square stock to length and drilled two holes on the ends of the longer pieces and one hole on the bottom shorter pieces. I then connect the square stock to the clamps with wing nuts for easy off and on.

After all of this I finished with this
rack5.jpg
rack6.jpg

Now please excuse my poor photos and explanations this is my first "write-up". But over all the whole project cost me around $60. If you have any questions please ask.

rack4.jpg

ofcrtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
686keydragon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is awesome, thanks very much for the write up! This went from being one of those ideas that I have been kicking around to being on my build list.

What size square stock did you use? Aluminum or steel? How did you get this whole setup for $60? HF is showing just the rack at $69.

The mounting system is the most interesting part and could use some photos of the clamping setup and the hinge system. That said, your description was clear enough that I understand what you did and will emulate it when I do mine.

Thanks again!

2002 TJ, 2.5L, 4" lift, 33" dunlop mud rovers, xrc8 winch, aussie locked d30, a-z fabrication ww2ww sliders, mounted mv-50 compressor, SirGcal sub box
686keydragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice project and it came out great. I love seeing what others come up with for their Jeeps. Good write-up by the way.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
ofcrtj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks mate. It was fun to make.
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
ofcrtj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686keydragon View Post
This is awesome, thanks very much for the write up! This went from being one of those ideas that I have been kicking around to being on my build list.

What size square stock did you use? Aluminum or steel? How did you get this whole setup for $60? HF is showing just the rack at $69.

The mounting system is the most interesting part and could use some photos of the clamping setup and the hinge system. That said, your description was clear enough that I understand what you did and will emulate it when I do mine.

Thanks again!

2002 TJ, 2.5L, 4" lift, 33" dunlop mud rovers, xrc8 winch, aussie locked d30, a-z fabrication ww2ww sliders, mounted mv-50 compressor, SirGcal sub box
Yea I'll try and snag some pics of it. I used steel stock.
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
686keydragon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcrtj

Yea I'll try and snag some pics of it. I used steel stock.
Excellent, thank you, seriously great job! This rack is in the harbor freight coupons this month so I may just pull the trigger too.

686keydragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just picked up the same rack today for $45 and plan on building a similar set up next week. I'll post some pics once I'm done.

Tags
cargo , diy , harbor freight , home made , rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.