Is this a good welder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Is this a good welder?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
vinny147
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is this a good welder?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...d#.UdNB0BZ6O0s

need to get my first welder and I think I found this at a good price as long as i wont need a new one in 1 years because of lack of power.

vinny147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That'll be just fine..i've had the same one for about 4 years or so now and never a problem with it..more than enough power for Jeep projects

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
CrazyJeepMan92
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's a good starter welder, I HIGHLY recommend the Hobart 140 welder to all new welders because it has an optional gas hookup but can be run out of a 110v system with no gas. It just gives you a few more options as you start welding more. Can be purchased at tractor supply co. And is not overly priced.
*KUBINAK ENTERPRISES*
CrazyJeepMan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJeepMan92 View Post
That's a good starter welder, I HIGHLY recommend the Hobart 140 welder to all new welders because it has an optional gas hookup but can be run out of a 110v system with no gas. It just gives you a few more options as you start welding more. Can be purchased at tractor supply co. And is not overly priced.
110v machines are "OK" at best for beginners..if you've got the money..buy a 220v for more power and no questions if it'll handle anything on a jeep project....

99% of people who start out with 110v machines and continue to weld,buy 220v machines down the road ..220v machines are even easier to learn on than an underpowered 110v machine.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
CrazyJeepMan92
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709

110v machines are "OK" at best for beginners..if you've got the money..buy a 220v for more power and no questions if it'll handle anything on a jeep project....

99% of people who start out with 110v machines and continue to weld,buy 220v machines down the road ..220v machines are even easier to learn on than an underpowered 110v machine.
Yes that is true but not everyone has money to go out and buy a 1500$ millermatic... Your not telling me anything I don't know I got Miller 220v but a 110 is a starting place
*KUBINAK ENTERPRISES*
CrazyJeepMan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I never suggested anyone to spend 1500.00..heck..plenty of of 220v Miller and Lincolns and Hobarts well under 1000.00 in the 180-200 amp class.

If i was planning on spending around the 1500.00 mark..i'd be looking for a 250 or more amp class machine..to be capable of running Spray Transfer..

For the hobbiest around the house and vehicle projects..the compact 220v units 180-200 amps are more than enough..

General rule of thumb..never buy a machine you'll run at its max limit all the time,it'll make a short life of the machine for one,,and most important of all..with a more than sufficeint machine,you'll never worry about if the weld was more than sufficeint ...especialy on suspension and frame work that is safety related...

My point is..buy once..be happy..instead of paying 450.00 or more for a 110v,about a 150.00 more get a 220v....instead of 450.00 and have to sell it for a small price later and spend 600.00-700.00 more later on a 220v...

The Op asked if the 220v he was already "planning" on spending money on was sufficeint enough .....not what a 110v machine will and will not do..

Never forget 9/11

Unread 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
AtTheHelm

OP

That machine will be fine for hobbyist level use. There is a difference though between the lowes/home depot machines and the lincoln power mig you'll see at welding shops even though they look very similar. The box store machines have cheaper parts like plastic wire roller frames etc. We have lincoln pro mig 135 at work that has been to hell and back and still runs fine.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
vinny147
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I ended up picking it up from home depot today for a steal of a price! Cant wait to fire it up!
vinny147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
WranglerRouser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear. Have fun!
WranglerRouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
OP

That machine will be fine for hobbyist level use. There is a difference though between the lowes/home depot machines and the lincoln power mig you'll see at welding shops even though they look very similar. The box store machines have cheaper parts like plastic wire roller frames etc. We have lincoln pro mig 135 at work that has been to hell and back and still runs fine.
Glad to see there is someone else who knows what they are talking about, kudos!
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-jeep-earl View Post
Glad to see there is someone else who knows what they are talking about, kudos!
Yes,the plastic drive and the step amp adjustment instead of the continouis..

Just like the FACTS we all got directly from the horses mouth from a Lincoln representitive a while back in another thread

I've beat the snot out of mine for around 4-5 years now,and have yet to have ANY problems with either of those 2 differences...not bad for the 2-300.00 difference in prices and still get the same warranty from Lincoln........

Never forget 9/11

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.