Getting to it with my 110 Lincoln - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-20-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Blthomas

1979 CJ7 

Getting to it with my 110 Lincoln

I picked up a Lincoln 140 110v a little ways back.

Been tinkering a good bit, reading some books, watched/watching some DVD's.

I'm playing on some 12gauge+\- angle iron, using the chart on the inside of my door for setting suggestions.

I feel pretty comfy with my stance, speed, I try to really watch the puddle.

My problem is my arc keeps stopping and starting ever so quickly when I'm pulling down a bead. I'll get a nice arc going, the "sizzeling bacon sound", and somewhere along it'll start and stop during the bead. It may or may not return to a solid steady arc.

I'm trying to learn how to do a nice smooth, controlled bead and stop when I want to stop. But the arc keeps starting and stopping, it never fails that I've got a nice one going when it happens.

I start with about 1/4" to 1/2" wire sticking out and try to maintain around a 3/8" to 1/2" gap while welding. Running fluxcore .035 wire.

I been grinding the angle iron somewhat clean on the spots/seams I want to weld.

What could I do to improve? More prep work on my metal? Do I have my speeds wrong? I know the wire speed affects ampherage and penetration, or at least thats my basic understanding.

Thanks for any insight or advise.

Blair

79' CJ7 - 4" lift, 33's
81' CJ8 bone stock
80' Chief "S" 6" lift, 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-21-2006, 08:01 AM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Could be a few things.. make sure the gun cable is fairly straight and not kinked or coming off the welder making a sharp bend. Also, your tip could be dirty/worn.. might wanna replace it. The liner could be dirty/worn.. everytime I finish a roll of wire, I shoot air thru the line and it never fails to blast out some dirt. Your roller tension might be kinda light might check that. Watch your roll of wire too.. might be bingding up somewhere. Lastly, maybe wire speed needs adjustment.. too fast and you'll occasionally feel the wire push the gun away from the work.. too slow and the wire will "evaporate" and spray into the work with an intermittent arc. I'd try turning the wire speed up a little.

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 01-21-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Blthomas

1979 CJ7 

Thanks for replying Besrk.

I'm going to play some more today, it's frustrating, have a nice bead going and then pop-start stop, nice bead, pop-start-stop.

Anyhow, I'l look into your suggestions and get back.

THanks,
Blair

79' CJ7 - 4" lift, 33's
81' CJ8 bone stock

post #4 of 13 Old 01-21-2006, 01:00 PM
hoytheld

Ditch the flux core and get the gas set up...flux core is primarily used for windy conditions....check TSC for bottled 75/25 gas
post #5 of 13 Old 01-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Keep an eye on your wire stick out. Like besrk said make sure your tip is in good shape and blow out your liner. Also check your line tension and make sure your rollers are clean and still in good shape.

Derpy Hooves for President in 2012
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2006, 03:09 PM
hoytheld

Also, get some MIG anti-spatter spray to coat your gun tip in ...also spray area around where you are welding...will keep the slag from sticking!

JH CUSTOMS MACHINE WORKS AND FABRICATION
Lathe and Mill Machine Work
Tig, Arc, and Mig Welding
Aluminum, Steel, Stainless, Titanium

post #7 of 13 Old 01-21-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Blthomas

1979 CJ7 

thanks for the info guys.

I was looking at it today, the slag is a mess. I've been putting off getting a bottle, but I guess I should have had one from the start.

I'll head down tomorrow. We got a TSC 6 miles away. What should I look for pricewise? Do you lease/rent the bottle?

For what it's worth, line tension seems pretty good, no major bends in the line, just curvy from being wrapped loosely on the cart itself. Tip looked a litte dirty, I took a wire brush to it. But it wasn't god awful to begin with.

Thanks.

79' CJ7 - 4" lift, 33's
81' CJ8 bone stock
post #8 of 13 Old 01-22-2006, 05:14 AM
hoytheld

I would get the small (around 48") bottle....Make sure it's the 75/25 mix.
I bought one about 8 yrs ago from Delille gas...it was $175.00 to own(small bottle)...I don't know what they charge now...I have 10 bottles I own...all are the 55" (big) TSC said it would be at most $55.00 to swap, which is a hell of a deal...have been paying $90.00 to swap at Valley gas!!!!!!....may want to call them!!
ALSO GET A CAN OF ANTI SPATTER SPRAY!!! will keep the tip clean...even if you use gas...use the spray!!
jas

JH CUSTOMS MACHINE WORKS AND FABRICATION
Lathe and Mill Machine Work
Tig, Arc, and Mig Welding
Aluminum, Steel, Stainless, Titanium

post #9 of 13 Old 01-22-2006, 07:08 AM
KC2OTE

I have a Lincoln 100HD and on the inside there's a sheet that lists what you can weld with what setup. What I found is that I can weld 1/4" in a single pass (so it says) with flux core but not with gas and solid wire so I keep some flux core wire around for jobs that involve larger material. I've been having a hell of a time making good welds with this thing and 75/25 shielding gas but whatever you use, play around with it a lot and really mess with your wire speed as this will make a huge difference in how well the machine maintains an arc. Tiny little changes have a big effect on weld quality and big changes made drastic differences.

Also, I noticed that you said you're "pulling down a bead" but have you tried pushing into the joint?? Pulling will build up weld material at the joint but pushing will allow you to get the metal deeper into the joint.

Here's my bad attempt to illustrate pulling vs pushing.... ____ will be the bead and /- or -\ will be the gun

Pulling:
_______/- going ->

Pushing:
_______-\ going ->

I don't know if it makes sense or not but I hope it does. Good luck!!
post #10 of 13 Old 01-22-2006, 07:37 AM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2OTE
I've been having a hell of a time making good welds with this thing and 75/25 shielding gas

Did you change the polarity on the welder? You know when you swap from flux core to gas/solid core you have to swap the (+) (-) cables...

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

post #11 of 13 Old 01-22-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Blthomas

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Did you change the polarity on the welder? You know when you swap from flux core to gas/solid core you have to swap the (+) (-) cables...
That was the first thing I noticed when assembling my wire feed. My Linc has a big old diagrham on inside cover.

Didn't get to it today, had every intendtion of going to TSC. THe kids wanted to go dirt bike riding, who was I to argue......

I'll check it out on the way to work tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

79' CJ7 - 4" lift, 33's
81' CJ8 bone stock
post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2006, 06:53 PM
KC2OTE

I did change the polarity on my machine. My problem is that there doesn't seem to be enough power to get good penetration when running solid wire and gas. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the long extension cord I'm using tho because I had slightly better luck when making the cart for my oxygen and acetylene tanks which was done without the cord.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-22-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Blthomas

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2OTE
I did change the polarity on my machine. My problem is that there doesn't seem to be enough power to get good penetration when running solid wire and gas. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the long extension cord I'm using tho because I had slightly better luck when making the cart for my oxygen and acetylene tanks which was done without the cord.
I don't have anywhere to run my except out in the driveway, meanign no garage with power so I had to run a extendtion cord.

I went to Lowes, asked the electrical guy there, he sold me a 20amp? or so heavy *** extendtion cord. He recommended a 25' or 50' but no longer cord.

Mine works well, I just need to practice much more. And get some gas too.

79' CJ7 - 4" lift, 33's
81' CJ8 bone stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.