Generators, Welders, and Jeeps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Generators, Welders, and Jeeps

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Generators, Welders, and Jeeps

Okay, not really a Jeep questions, but I am asking this question for the sake of my Jeep. I am planning on pulling my camper (with my Jeep) on a 3 hour trip to a 4WD park in Springfield, MO so I am trying my best to plan for some contingencies. One thing that I would like to do is bring my little 110V welder, but I wont have any way to run it. I do have a 1000Watt generator so...

I think that there is a way to do this, but I am not sure how.

Can I hook my DC cables on my genny up to a battery, then connect an AC inverter up to the battery, then connect my 110V welder straight up to the AC inverter to give the the extra amps that I need?

My welder is a 15amp and my genny is a 8 amp.

I think it could work for just long enough to get a couple beads of weld in, but nothing more than 20 mins of operations.

I would really love to have this but I cant justify spending the money.

Opinions or facts would be greatly appreciated.

X

Ask me why you should not buy anything from 4 Wheel Online
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2, 12 volt batteries, some jumper cables and some DC rod's will work in a pinch.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That little welder isn't up to welding the types of things that can break while wheeling, and the generator isn't up to powering the welder either.

If you can't save for the Rediwelder, do as dirtsquirt suggests but learn how to stick weld ahead of time.

Moved to the Fabricator's forum where welding and welders are common topics.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

1000 watt ( 10 amps) generator will not do a thing for you for welding. Now check with northern tool they have a 3500 watt (35 amps) that can power the welder and still have a little left over and only weighs in at 150 lbs. This can also power you camper.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator , jeep , welder

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.