Future project build idea - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Future project build idea

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Future project build idea

I am liking the idea of designing a tire carrier that swings out, but when the spare is needed it swings down to the ground, so that you can unfasten the spare and tip it up and roll off the carrier. It's a pain in the *** lifting a heavy tire/wheel, and trying to start the lug at same time by yourself.

So the tire would be sandwiched between gate and carrier, what my concerns are, is the distance that the assembly extends out, I don't want it slamming the ground when accenting or descending a sharp angle. In other words I don't want the carrier to become a skid... I know I can mount it high, but the higher it is, the less the rear view.

If you have a carrier with the frame on the outside, I would like to hear your trailing experiences!!

Unread 08-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

A simpler solution - design your tire carrier with a section of tubing sticking out where the centre hub of the wheel is. This allows you to lift the tire up and set it down on that tube, then free spin it to the correct rotation on the wheel studs, and then push it back into place. Also helps to have that tubing cut on a wedge angle (longer at the top side) so it's easier to find the centre. When lifting it, you now only have to get roughly in place rather than exactly in place.

Solves the alignment concern but you still have to lift it. Not such a problem in the sandy areas as the sand polishes the tire rubber so it's pretty much nice and clean most of the time. A swing-down tire solution is good if you don't want to be hugging a heavy muddy mess... in that case just get a rear camera for the visibility issues.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I've been toying with the idea in the shop. It's been done, just a matter of new ways to do it cost effectively. Here was the "first" of it's kind a few years back. Great idea...not cost effective. I'm looking to change that.

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
A simpler solution - design your tire carrier with a section of tubing sticking out where the centre hub of the wheel is. This allows you to lift the tire up and set it down on that tube, then free spin it to the correct rotation on the wheel studs, and then push it back into place. Also helps to have that tubing cut on a wedge angle (longer at the top side) so it's easier to find the centre. When lifting it, you now only have to get roughly in place rather than exactly in place.

Solves the alignment concern but you still have to lift it. Not such a problem in the sandy areas as the sand polishes the tire rubber so it's pretty much nice and clean most of the time. A swing-down tire solution is good if you don't want to be hugging a heavy muddy mess... in that case just get a rear camera for the visibility issues.
I am the mud type, so I def want swing down. I like the self centering though for other carrier ideas. Thanks for FB
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldorado Customs
I've been toying with the idea in the shop. It's been done, just a matter of new ways to do it cost effectively. Here was the "first" of it's kind a few years back. Great idea...not cost effective. I'm looking to change that.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFrE04S0iA
Did your shop fab this? If yes what was the sell price? Is it still a current product?
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repauli1 View Post

Did your shop fab this? If yes what was the sell price? Is it still a current product?
No. That was built by a now defunct company called HD customs.
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12107_300X_07_PG.htm
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Lifted96ZJ
1973 CJ5 

I've always liked this.

http://shop.jeeptubes.com/product.sc...1&categoryId=3

Genright makes a similar one also but it opens to the side, not up and down
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

You could weld a piece of pipe with an o.d. That is slightly less than the diameter of the hub. The. You can rest it in place on the hub and spin to line up lugs
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

This might be just a little late in posting, but this is one project I've saved from here on JF. NashvilleTJ had some really good ideas when he came up with this one.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/s...rrier-1128388/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.