Full Roll Cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Full Roll Cage

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
zombiesmasher13
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Full Roll Cage

I'm looking to put a full cage on the CJ. I know you can get all the prefab stuff but I have access to the steel and I can weld so I'm gonna be building it myself. Is there a design that is better than others?

[SIZE="5"]P[/SIZE]ocket
zombiesmasher13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The one that saves your life is the best design. Other than that there are so many designs to chose from. Take your time and have fun
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
zombiesmasher13
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeh. This is definitely something I'm gonna take my time with. I just didn't know if there were tie in points that are stronger than others. I guess just staying attached to the frame is the important thing?
zombiesmasher13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
tim-v

Before you cut the steel make a full size model out of pvc or something like that so you can see what it looks like, ans experiment with different styles
just a thought
tim-v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiesmasher13 View Post
Yeh. This is definitely something I'm gonna take my time with. I just didn't know if there were tie in points that are stronger than others. I guess just staying attached to the frame is the important thing?

Just a few pointers for you:

Main hoop must be of one solid continuous section. No exceptions there.

Triangulate wherever possible

Every section of cage that touches the floor must be tied into the frame.

Prior to welding, the better the joinery, the better the result.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
tim-v

Building A Roll Cage For Your Ford Ranger/Bronco II
I know its not a jeep has info
This has alot of info and pictures on building a cage
tim-v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like using the Bend-Tech EZ-3D software to design stuff. Works great!

Bend-Tech EZ-3D
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

There are lots of nice cages out there. Check out the sticky at the top of the page for some pics of different cages. Also might hit up Pirate for alot of good pics. When you find one you like, copy it.

Personally, I prefer my main bars to run down either side of the rig versus the typical A pillar/B pillar design (think stock cage hoop that runs from side to side). Once you get the main side bars in place, the majority of the remaining tubes can be straight shots.. simple and effective.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Guys I am going to be looking at making a cage for my CJ too and have been giving some thought to trying to get away with having the front bar in the common location, where you hit your knees on it. What are your opinions on making some kind of pillar that would fit inside the area where the door hinge plates go? I see them for later model jeeps and like the way they get the bar out of the way but are they strong enough in a side roll?
100_0173.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Jim, I think they'd be suspect. The TJs are setup differently in that area but even then, I'd prefer to run the tube all the way to the floor.

I've never had a problem with my front cage legs being "knee knockers"... and that's on a CJ5 with the small door opening. I'm also not a small fella (6'1".. 285lbs). Granted, I did move my front seats back about 3-4 inches but the small door opening is still there and my cage has never been an issue.

If anything, I might be tempted to bend the lower part of the front cage leg forward so that it runs up in the parking brake area. You could relocate the parking brake with a "hand brake" setup. Even then, I don't think I'd bother.. I'd just do the straight leg about 3/4" away from the dash.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Jim, I think they'd be suspect. The TJs are setup differently in that area but even then, I'd prefer to run the tube all the way to the floor.

I've never had a problem with my front cage legs being "knee knockers"... and that's on a CJ5 with the small door opening. I'm also not a small fella (6'1".. 285lbs). Granted, I did move my front seats back about 3-4 inches but the small door opening is still there and my cage has never been an issue.

If anything, I might be tempted to bend the lower part of the front cage leg forward so that it runs up in the parking brake area. You could relocate the parking brake with a "hand brake" setup. Even then, I don't think I'd bother.. I'd just do the straight leg about 3/4" away from the dash.
Eddie that confirms what I had doubts about too. Too bad something like this can't be made strong enough to take a hit. I like the concept. Safety is first though. Thanks for the input. Enjoy the day!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-v View Post
Before you cut the steel make a full size model out of pvc or something like that so you can see what it looks like, ans experiment with different styles
just a thought
I just had one built.... Wish my builder would've done this first. I'm 6'4" and the guy brought a runner from the center of b piller to the coners of the a piller. It's about 3 to 4" from my noggin. And I have to live with it.....
1995 4.0l, 5spd., 4:88's, ARB's F/R, 4"RC lift, homebrew bumpers & tire carrier, homebrew gas tank skid, lined inside, Cobra cb, smitty winch, 130w & 55w Hella lights

Envy our past, Fear our future Go Cats!

Take a look at our club
www.torcoffroad.com & here on JF
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/brand-new-ky-offroad-club-678937/
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Eddie that confirms what I had doubts about too. Too bad something like this can't be made strong enough to take a hit. I like the concept. Safety is first though. Thanks for the input. Enjoy the day!
I'm sure you could make it strong enough but the trade-off comes in the amount of work required to do it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.