Fuel Cell ...make one or buy one and it's location - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Fuel Cell ...make one or buy one and it's location

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-22-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
Dangle

Fuel Cell ...make one or buy one and it's location

What would be involved in fabbing up a fuel cell?? what type of materials are needed, what type of welding, and questions of the sort. Im looking to stretch the jeep and need to do something about my gas tank. Im not opposed to buying a fuel cell but they seem expensive, and was curious if they could be made for much cheaper. also can 2 fuel cells be connected some how that are located in different spots??I have my back seat out and rear storage, and was thinking about putting a fuel cell behind each seat, like a 10 gallon or something, maybe less, but if they could be connected to draw from each other I could have a 20 gallon tank that is out of the way...thanks for the help...if anyone has made their own or knows about this, all advice is appreciated...thanks

4.5 RE SF, 1" body, 1" MML, 35" MTR's,, SYE & Driveshaft, Dana 44 in the rear, 7" wheelbase stretch, multiple skids protecting front to back, Flat Fendered, O.R.O U-Turn, PSC P-Pump, Vanco Hydroboost, Aussie locker in front and some other bullsh#t
REDNECK JEEP CLUB MEMBER #227
FORTI ET FIDELI NIHIL DIFFICILE
Dangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
got4-Lo

make one out of a keg

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
Dangle

really??? cause i have 6 of those hanging around...
4.5 RE SF, 1" body, 1" MML, 35" MTR's,, SYE & Driveshaft, Dana 44 in the rear, 7" wheelbase stretch, multiple skids protecting front to back, Flat Fendered, O.R.O U-Turn, PSC P-Pump, Vanco Hydroboost, Aussie locker in front and some other bullsh#t
Unread 05-23-2005, 12:10 AM   #4
got4-Lo

ya i have seen it done. ill find some info for ya

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Dangle

Id appreciate that, but I dont see where one of those would fit in the jeep??? is it cut up and then fabricated?? I guess the info will tell me..thanks
Unread 05-25-2005, 07:03 AM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Unless you're really proficient at welding, I'd just pony up and buy a cell. I picked one of the aluminum 15 gallon cells with a sender for less than $200 from Summit. I also picked up AN fittings and hose to plumb it. It was easy to mount.. 4 tabs on the bottom. Looks good and didn't eat up all the space behind the front seats in my CJ5. The vent line also has a built in roll over check valve. I like it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #7
Dangle

is that 15 gallon enough for you??? Ill have to look at their website, but I was thinking about going with 2 10 gallons behind each seat to get a little more gas in there...does anyone know if I could succesfully connect two tanks together???If not, i may just end up goinig with that 15 gallon...thanks guys
Unread 05-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

15 gallons will allow me to wheel all day and still have about a 1/4 tank.. with a SBC 350..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2005, 10:21 PM   #9
90wrangler

Don't know where you wheel, but I only go through about 5 gallons a day, rock crawling with my 350 tbi. Short drive to the trails from the campground.
I have a 12 gallon poly fuel cell with the sump in the bottom.'
Drawback is no fuel sender but I've never ran it out of gass.
There should be plenty of room to put two in but I'd just get a larger tank.
Check Summit, Jegs, etc. for a 16 to 20 gallon tank. There usually the same height.
If you build one, you will be concerned with internal corrosion on a steel tank, expense, strength and fittings welding your own aluminum tank.

Before the computer:
A hard drive was a long trip on the road (trail),, and if you had a 3.5" floppy,, you just hoped nobody found out!
90wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

theres a catalog called Lefthander Chassis who has a lot of parts for racecars. I race, and the team uses them for all of our parts. give em a try. to be honest, I don't know how expensive they are, but i know that they have some nice cells.
Unread 06-22-2005, 01:22 AM   #11
94CherokeeXJ

Are these hydrogen fuel cells or what? I've seen some buzz about fuel cells but never a full explanation. If theyre hydrogen, what has to be done to the engine to accomodate it? Sorry if this is off-topic.
94CherokeeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
redneckjeepr

fuel cell is just another name for a fuel tank.
99 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 4.0 I6, 5-speed manual, Dana 44 rear, 3.73 gears, 4"(3.5") Procomp front, 4.5" RE rear, 33x12.5 BFG mudders on 15x10 black rockcrawlers, warn rockcrawler front bumper w/ warn 9500ti winch, warn rear rockcrawler w/ tire carrier, currie SYE, front Detroit locker
redneckjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
94XJS
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Curious about fuel starvation on steep inclines. Fuel pick-up, sumps etc. I want to build a tank just to try it and because I want to make the best use of space in my 94XJ tuber. Lefthanders typically have the pick-up on the right side because the fuel is forced to the outside of the turn. I'm always standing on the nose or laying flat on my back, right side, left side... What's the best way to scavenge all the fuel avoiding loss of power at a bad point on the trail?
94XJS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

In the R/c Plane world they use a flexible pick up, weighted. it just follows gravity.
Unread 08-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #15
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

With as small as a 15 gallon cell is I think you would have to be running really low on fuel to starve the pickup.

I was going to build an aluminum cell but after pricing everything out (I already have the aluminum) it would be cheaper to buy one.

I still might throw one together and see what I can come up with as far as mounting an in tank pump and a fill cap.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.