Front Bumper/Winch Plate Build! (pic heavy) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Front Bumper/Winch Plate Build! (pic heavy)

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEMassive SAVINGS on VISION X EVO PRIME 10 WATT LED LIGHT BANew Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit Cataly

Unread 02-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #61
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man thats what i did I kept looking at all those pre-fabbed bumpers and just couldn't find one i really liked. Not to mention the fact that most of them are in the $500 range. So i just decided if i was gonna spend over $500 i might as well get myself into fabrication and just build my own bumpers, cage, and other parts i have planned. I can tell you that it feels great to finish a project like this and the best part is having the ability to build it however you want to get the look you want.

Next project is a rear swing away tire carrier and bumper. I'm hoping to get all the steel and stuff for that soon and get started! I really wanna get my 33" MTR off the stock carrier

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #62
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For my spare I'm gonna use OBA and carry some tire plugs! I don't drive my jeep all that much so a spare is a waste for me. Dude could you email me the specs for that steering skidplate? I figure that should be easy enough to try first!
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #63
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I carry tire plugs and i have onboard ait to install too. But the spare is there if i cut a sidewall or loose a bead on the trail where the plugs and air may not be able to fix the problem I picked up a brand new 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR on a steel wheel for $75 on craigslist. To me the spare is worth that much. I believe the guy i bought it from didnt know what he had because the new MTR alone costs 3x that lol

I can try to get a few measurements on the steering box skid for you. I don't have any on hand because when i was building it it was sorta off the top of my head with a lot of holding it up to my jeep to check and then cut. It was fairly simple though
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 02-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #64
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmel17 View Post
Nah wasn't me, I was stuck in PA and DE all day. I won't be on these 30's for much long either! New 33's coming next Friday or the following Monday! I love your bumper, I keep looking at all these pre-fabbed ones too and I'm having a hard time making a decision, I might just go balls deep and buy a welder with my tax money
Buy it and build what you want.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #65
njfreekshow
1999 XJ Cherokee 

skid and bumper looks real good man, makes me want to learn welding and do it myself...which i want to lol
njfreekshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #66
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice looking bumper
Unread 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #67
postaldave
1996 XJ Cherokee 

this is a GREAT build. respect!

how did you weld the clevis points on both sides with box tubbing?

are you cutting a hole the same size as the mount and cutting a really large hole on the back of the box tube to get the welder to it?

getting ready to do the same build(copy yours) and can't figure out any way other then a surface weld for the clevis mounts.

also where did you buy yours? i found them at A to Z for $25 each
[url]http://www.facebook.com/slash5[/url]

[QUOTE=xdgt03;9409004]I removed mine. It is against federal law but so is being an illegal immigrant so...
[/QUOTE]
postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #68
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave View Post
this is a GREAT build. respect!

how did you weld the clevis points on both sides with box tubbing?

are you cutting a hole the same size as the mount and cutting a really large hole on the back of the box tube to get the welder to it?

getting ready to do the same build(copy yours) and can't figure out any way other then a surface weld for the clevis mounts.

also where did you buy yours? i found them at A to Z for $25 each
Thanks

The clevis mounts you posted are flush mounts. I wouldn't recommend using them. They make clevis mounts that are 4.5" long and you cut an appropriate sized hole in the front and back of the tube and slip them all the way through leaving about 1/4-1/2" on the back.
What everyone means by "weld the shackle mounts on the front and back" is just that. You weld on outside surface of the face of the tube and the outside surface of the back of the tube

Also I got my clevis mounts from a fab shop on ebay for 12.99 a pair. I think it was like $20 shipped. I'll see if i can dig up a link or the sellers name

Here's a few pics that may explain better

Back of bumper

Front of bumper

Hope that helps
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #69
postaldave
1996 XJ Cherokee 

that helped allot. thank you much.

i'm doing my first welding project soon and this looks like a great one to try.

go big or go home. :,)

and god bless ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clevi...s#ht_500wt_749
[url]http://www.facebook.com/slash5[/url]

[QUOTE=xdgt03;9409004]I removed mine. It is against federal law but so is being an illegal immigrant so...
[/QUOTE]
postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #70
rybicki
1989 YJ Wrangler 

looks great though I kinda like the stinger look... how do you think you could put one on a bumper styled similar to that? I'm also thinking about fabbing up some bumpers but I got a frame swap and wire harness change first... just getting some ideas... I'm new to the fabbing world and teaching myself how to weld so any tips would be greatly appreaciated
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #71
Djay101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i got a stupid question, did you make your own mounts aw well to mount the bumper, and when you did, did you reinforce it so it wouldnt break off the first time you go to get towed out or use a winch? Pictures?
Djay101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #72
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybicki View Post
looks great though I kinda like the stinger look... how do you think you could put one on a bumper styled similar to that? I'm also thinking about fabbing up some bumpers but I got a frame swap and wire harness change first... just getting some ideas... I'm new to the fabbing world and teaching myself how to weld so any tips would be greatly appreaciated
Practice, practice, practice Grab up all the scrap you can and run beads until you feel comfortable enough with setting up your machine and the quality of the welds. Try welding different types of joints and mess with your settings to get good clean welds. Are you learning with solid wire with gas or flux core wire? I know it doesn't sound good for you wallet but if you havn't tried welding with C25 and solid wire, I believe thats what helped me the most getting the hang of it. Its a lot easier to learn when you can see the weld pool without all the smoke and flux from flux core welding.

As for the stinger, I actually planned to build mine with a stinger all along. I have a bent piece of 1.75x.120 DOM tubing in my garage that i decided not to add after i started mocking up everything. I was going to weld it to the face of the bumper right outside of the d-ring shackle mounts and then tie it into a radiator hoop later on. Don't know why but I decided it looked better without it so i left it off.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #73
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay101 View Post
i got a stupid question, did you make your own mounts aw well to mount the bumper, and when you did, did you reinforce it so it wouldnt break off the first time you go to get towed out or use a winch? Pictures?
Yes I did, If you look at the beginning pics of the build you'll see them. The winch plate is welded solid to the top of the bumper and i have two 1/4" thick tabs welded to the bottom to mount to the frame underneath. So the bumper is actually held on by a total of 8 bolts through the top of the frame and 2 bolts through the bottom of the frame plus is is tied into the steering box skid which adds and additional bolt on the side of the frame with the steering gear box. 11 total 10.9 metric bolts (stronger than grade 8) going through the frame
I'v loaded it several time with a snatch strap hooked to my d-ring shackles and have used the winch several times now and have no fear of it pulling off or failing. In-fact i'd almost bet this design is a lot stronger than any aftermarket bumper out there with a separate winch plate on top.

Here is a pic of how the bumper mounts on top of the frame (it was just tacked at that point) . And below are a few pics i posted earlier of the mounts underneath and how they fit over the frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Here is a few pics of the lower mounts and the bottom of the bumper

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #74
Djay101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

that helps a bit, thanks!!
Djay101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #75
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

wow that looks awesome, nice fab skillz

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.