Front Bumper Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Front Bumper Build

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 01-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Matt in TN
1979 CJ7 

Front Bumper Build

I've been needing some front recovery points for a long time, and while I did the power steering and was fooling with that end of the Jeep anyway, I decided to build a new bumper and practice my very basic welding/fab skills.

It started as 48" of 2" x 4" x 3/16" rectangular tubing, and I cut 6" off each end and angled them up and back slightly and welded it back together, facing the ends with 2" x 3/16" flat. I then cut holes for the clevis mounts to go fully through. These were made out of 7/8" x 2" bar stock and were a full 7 1/2" long - long enough to go all the way through the bumper and bolt directly to the frame with 3/4" and 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Running a basic shear stress calculation (I'm an engineer - I can't help myself!) told me that just one 3/4" bolt would more than handle a 10,000 lb load, and that assumes no clamping force and friction - so I feel safe with these bolts. The 1/2" bolts are more for keeping the bumper from tilting up and down, but will add a little more strength in shear as well. I also did a few quick calculations on the frame itself to make sure the bolts would not rip the thinner frame material out, and they look OK too (especially sandwiched into 7/8" thick steel).

I welded it all with only my 110V flux-cored welder, but was careful to fully bevel all the 3/16" stuff and pre-heat the clevis mounts with a torch to get more penetration. That stupid spatter had me grinding a lot, but it turned out OK.

Anyway - nothing fancy, but it gave me the needed front recovery points and let me practice my welding skills a little more.

The mount:

[B]'79 CJ-7, 304, T-18a, Dana 20, AMC-20 w/ Yukon 1-piece axles, and Dana-30, 33x12.50x15, 1" Body Lift w/ heavily trimmed fenders, full cage with seats and harnesses, CJ/Wagoneer power steering upgrade, custom front and rear bumpers, body armor, and belly-up skidplate[/B]
In the garage, waiting for hell to freeze over so I can finish the installation: Waggy front D44, AMC M23 rear

Last edited by Matt in TN; 01-22-2007 at 09:29 AM..
Matt in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
rickr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

please don,t take this the wrong way. i do like your calculations, but,will those 110v mig welds hold up? they do look good.
rickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Matt in TN
1979 CJ7 

That's the question of the day!

I think they'll be fine - the rear bumper (made similarly, but without the direct bolting of the clevis mount to frame) has held up just fine and had some pretty good jerks on it. For the front the welds really aren't critical, as bolting the mounts to the frame (not the bumper to the frame) will transfer almost all of the load directly through and not put much stress on the welds. The bumper acts more as a crossmember instead of a hard mounting point - stiffening the frame and keeping it from flexing/twisting.

I wish I had a way to test penetration and know for sure, but the theory of pre-heating is sound - basically the more you pre-heat the steel with a torch, the less work the welder has to do getting the steel hot enough to penetrate fully with electricity. (learned that from BESRK - thanks!).

[B]'79 CJ-7, 304, T-18a, Dana 20, AMC-20 w/ Yukon 1-piece axles, and Dana-30, 33x12.50x15, 1" Body Lift w/ heavily trimmed fenders, full cage with seats and harnesses, CJ/Wagoneer power steering upgrade, custom front and rear bumpers, body armor, and belly-up skidplate[/B]
In the garage, waiting for hell to freeze over so I can finish the installation: Waggy front D44, AMC M23 rear
Unread 01-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

looks damn good IMO

JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr
please don,t take this the wrong way. i do like your calculations, but,will those 110v mig welds hold up? they do look good.
110 welds will do just fine.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I like that! I did the same thing to my little CJ5.. ran longer clevis mounts thru the bumper to catch the bolt holes on the side of the frame. Think I'll do that on all my front CJ bumpers from now on.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #7
Matt in TN
1979 CJ7 

Good point, BESRK - I forgot to mention that the 3/4" bolt holes in the frame were already there and the perfect size! What were those originally for, a snow plow?

Unread 01-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

Nice, I'm hoping my miller 135 110v mig works too. The front bumper is on my list. I like the look
Havasu Living is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
TJ_Firefighter

that looks awesome....glad to know my 110 fcaw will do that until i get the conversion kit to do gmaw......looks good
33x12.50 Dunlop RV
[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Kahki Jeep Club Member #42[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="White"][B] U.[COLOR="Orange"]S.C.G[COLOR="White"]. J[COLOR="Blue"]ee[COLOR="White"]p Club Member #1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Firefighting Jeep #2[/B][/COLOR]
Soon to come: HomeFab Rockers
TJ_Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
famicom21

wow! calculations!

...i bodge

i find a bolt that looks good enough, and just throw it on...

(i will use grade 8 for important stuff like suspension and seatbelts though)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.