Frame Stiffener Question Regarding Rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Frame Stiffener Question Regarding Rust

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 11-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
szfofa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Frame Stiffener Question Regarding Rust

Recently got an XJ and decided that I do want some frame stiffeners on there. Ive read a bit about how to prep to weld them on, but something I havent fully understood is how to prevent rust. I also read about weld primer paint but does that really work? wont welding make the weld primer burn off and purpose defeated? I know you can paint the actual stiffener after but I am talking about between the frame and stiffener. Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks in advance!

Also, anyone in greater Phoenix area interested in the project?

szfofa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, I gotta ask.... Is rust a problem in Phoenix?
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
szfofa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No, rust is not a problem in Phoenix. That doesn't mean if I drive to a snowy region that it can't be problem. I am moving back to California soon and the 395 is a great part of the state. People think CA doesn't use salt but they are mistaken. http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/paffairs/ne...el/14pr019.htm
Unread 12-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by szfofa View Post
Recently got an XJ and decided that I do want some frame stiffeners on there. Ive read a bit about how to prep to weld them on, but something I havent fully understood is how to prevent rust. I also read about weld primer paint but does that really work? wont welding make the weld primer burn off and purpose defeated? I know you can paint the actual stiffener after but I am talking about between the frame and stiffener. Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks in advance!

Also, anyone in greater Phoenix area interested in the project?
I live in the great midwest salt belt and love to play in the snow so fight a continual battle keeping the undercarriage rust at bay. After much contemplation of the exact same concerns I opted to forgo the stiffners until I came across a good plan.
I'm all ears.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have a link to what these stiffeners look like? Might be able to throw a useful idea out there.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

There's several different versions and manufacturers, but here's a look IRO's Iron Rock Offroad and H. D. Offroad.
Basically it's a second skin to beef up the uni-rails and attached by dozens of spot welds. You can't really get a good angle to weld the entire top end. The resulting salt entrapment areas concern me as I'm already having floorboard rust issues everywhere my undercoating has been scratched through.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
szfofa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for posting that up Chris.

I've also heard that you wouldn't want to weld the entire seam anyway because it weakens the rail too much.
Unread 12-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Add some seam sealer after it's fully welded then cover with bed liner.

http://www.eastwood.com/autobody/seam-sealer.html

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
dbmetalworx

Quote:
Originally Posted by szfofa View Post
Thanks for posting that up Chris.

I've also heard that you wouldn't want to weld the entire seam anyway because it weakens the rail too much.
feel free to give me call monday. we're in buckeye.. we can get you dialed in.. 623-694-1280 dbmetalworx.com
dbmetalworx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
szfofa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the link to that seam sealer! looks like good stuff. I just discovered a t-case leak so looks like I need to handle that now first. Ill keep you in mind when I get the stiffeners, Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.