Frame Repair Section & Front Crossmember - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Frame Repair Section & Front Crossmember

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
1995Moneypit
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Frame Repair Section & Front Crossmember

I've been logging my progress on my YJ frame repair in the YJ Tech forum, but thought I'd post some of my pics of my first major fabrication project over here.

My 95 YJ had some major frame rot issues, so I invested a little money this year on some equipment and studied a lot of threads, took a couple classes, and practiced on a couple shop projects this winter (cart, small workbench, and a material rack).

Cut off the bad section (front driver's side) and fabbed up a new section from templates I made. The front tubular crossmember was rotted inside the frame so I removed this and made a new one out of 2 x 4 x 3/16 tube after some wise suggestions from the YJ crowd. Just got the new crossmember fabbed and clamped up tonight.

I've really enjoyed reading posts on the fab shop forum and appreciate the talent out there. I'm quickly becoming addicted to the sparks and noise in the shop and looking forward to future projects. Hopefully I don't drive my wife too crazy!

cut-out-parts.jpg   dscn0250.jpg   piece-.-april-3.jpg   assembly.jpg   clamped-jeep.jpg  

1995Moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That looks like it will work
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
tampadave

crossmember

Hello,

I know this thread is pretty old but I hope you can help. I have to replace the front tube crossmember on my '91 yj. Do you have the exact inside frame rail to frame rail measurement? I want to end up with what you have in the pics. Nice job by the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
tampadave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
clowe1965
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well thought I'd add to this instead of making a new thread. Took a stab at some frame repair. I found the drivers side rear section was nearly rotted out when i tried to install a trailer hitch. I bought a safe t cap set off morris and started cutting stuff out. I can say having a cutting torch would have made this easier, but I managed with a cut off wheel. Dropped the gas tank first and put it outside the garage. Also replaced that pesky check valve that was leaking while it was down. I started cutting parts out while my helper scraped the rest of the frame and put some POR15 and internal frame coating from eastwood down. Took about 12 hours, but here it is. Probably the easiest part of the frame to repair since there's just a body mount to contend with for alignment, the bumper holes are predrilled. I put new hardware in sae units instead of metric.
clowe1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crossmember , frame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.