Frame repair questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Frame repair questions

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Frame repair questions

I posted this in the CJ forum, and figured I'd post it here for some other points of view. Forgive the double post.

I figure I'd throw this out for suggestions before I get to the point of no return.

Here's my plan. I cut out the bad part at the spring hanger, and made a patch piece from a hunk of box tubing, 1/8" thick. I want to keep the outer rails looking nice and smooth, if at all possible.
I plan on welding in the piece, then cutting out the inner rail to repair it. I have thinner wall tubing to make a piece for the inner rail.
Once I cut the inner rail open, I plan on fish plating the outer rail from the INSIDE.
The green was my plan, the yellow at the top if needed.

I can then close up the inner rail, and fish plate that, if it's needed (?). I can then grind the outer rail smooth, if it will be strong enough.

I've never done more than slap on some patches, so I'm turning to the guys that have done it before. I want to do it right, and not have to second guess myself.
This is just a rough fit.

Am I on the right track????

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good!
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You might want to throw in some inner frame gussets before the plates
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou
You might want to throw in some inner frame gussets before the plates
Not a bad idea. The cage tie in will be in that area also. I plan on fish playing the inside with 1/4 where the tie ins will be once I figure all of that out.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

That should work fine. Just be sure to get full penetration with the weld.. so you don't have any "thin" areas when you grind the welds down.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Thanks Eddie. I'm thinking of just welding this piece in enough to hold everything in place, doing the fish plate on th inside, then finishing the welding. That way the seam gets welded to the fishplates behind it also.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Once I started welding I couldn't stop. Went ahead and welded it completely in and ground the welds down.
Now I can cut out the inner rail, weld the seam on the outer rail from the back side also (if there's any spots lacking full penetration), and fish plate it from the inside.

Unread 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

What size tube did you start with?
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
stmanser
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I went down to the metal supply and got a piece of 4x2 rectangle box tubing for my frame. mine is rusted at the shackle and I figure I need to replace the entire frame from 4-5" fwd of the shackle mount, and then go to the rear of the frame at the rear bumper.

I was thinking of taking the piece of metal I have and have a local machine shop put a bend in it so that I don't have to weld a bunch of pieces together.

Has anyone else done this?
stmanser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.