ford dana 60 in cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > ford dana 60 in cj5

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
matt1982
1978 CJ5 

ford dana 60 in cj5

LI have a 78 cj 5 and I want to run the 60 I have out of a 1 ton ford in the front but the center section is on the drivers side on the ford can I flip it and run a reverse gear I'm new to the off road stuff could somebody give me some advice please thank u

matt1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nope.. can't flip it. It'll run backwards. Your best bet would be to sell it and pick up a GM D60. Next option would be to retube it to move the center section.. but that could be kind of pricey.

I read an article once where someone just cut the knuckles off, cut the tubes, bevelled the ends, turned a tight fitting inner sleeve on the lathe, sleeved/rewelded the tubes in place on opposite sides (long/short side) and then rewelded the knuckles in place. Between the inner sleeve and the bevelled joint, the tubes were said to be plenty strong.

I've got another buddy who used an air-arc to blast out the plug welds at the pumpkin (this was on a rear D60) and built himself a simple press to pull the axle tubes out of the housing (seem to remember him saying it took about 30tons of force). He then swapped tubes from side to side and pressed them back in place.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
matt1982
1978 CJ5 

Thanks for the info
matt1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj5 , dana 60 , ford , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.