Fold "down" spare tire carrier - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Fold "down" spare tire carrier

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Reply
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
frumpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pembroke ON, Ontario
Posts: 2,013


__________________
2002 Dodge Dakota quad cab V8
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
frumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #17
Bigbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
Maybe I'm not real bright or maybe I am too old, or maybe I just don't have enough money- - - but why in the world do people pay a small fortune for a Jeep and then do that sort of thing? If there is some logic in it I sure don't see it. I need to go back to my rocker now and take my pills.
__________________
2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
frumpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pembroke ON, Ontario
Posts: 2,013
why pay all that money and NOT do that stuff
__________________
2002 Dodge Dakota quad cab V8
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
frumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #19
Bigbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
why pay all that money and NOT do that stuff
Hey, I understand we buy our Jeeps to run up and down stuff you can't walk up and down, but I don't understand why anyone would intentionally attempt to go up something that is almost sure to damage the rig in some form or other. If I see something that I am fairly sure is gonna cost me in damage and I don't need to do it I avoid it. There are plenty of challenges out there that may issue out a little trail rash, but to basically intentionally flop or roll just shows you either have too much spare cash, are showing off, or just plain dum. I understand PSC wants to demonstrate it's products, and they do have fine stuff, so the principle or reason of that picture is indeed gotten across. But I'd be danged if I ever tried to climb a shelf like that. I paid a pretty penny for my junk and I plan on keeping it for a very long time. There is plenty of stuff to normally replace on a Jeep due to even minor/moderate trail use. U-joints, axles, wheels, yada-yada. But to just tear the crap out of it for tearing the crap out of it's sake is not my cup of tea. Bob

BTW He needs a sleeping bag cover. LOL
__________________
2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #20
rmb2485
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
but I don't understand why anyone would intentionally attempt to go up something that is almost sure to damage the rig in some form or other
Because that one time you do make it up the ledge makes it all worth it!
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #21
rmb2485
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
Hey what's running down the ledge on the left? Did the guy lose his lunch?
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #22
frumpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pembroke ON, Ontario
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Hey, I understand we buy our Jeeps to run up and down stuff you can't walk up and down, but I don't understand why anyone would intentionally attempt to go up something that is almost sure to damage the rig in some form or other. If I see something that I am fairly sure is gonna cost me in damage and I don't need to do it I avoid it. There are plenty of challenges out there that may issue out a little trail rash, but to basically intentionally flop or roll just shows you either have too much spare cash, are showing off, or just plain dum. I understand PSC wants to demonstrate it's products, and they do have fine stuff, so the principle or reason of that picture is indeed gotten across. But I'd be danged if I ever tried to climb a shelf like that. I paid a pretty penny for my junk and I plan on keeping it for a very long time. There is plenty of stuff to normally replace on a Jeep due to even minor/moderate trail use. U-joints, axles, wheels, yada-yada. But to just tear the crap out of it for tearing the crap out of it's sake is not my cup of tea. Bob

BTW He needs a sleeping bag cover. LOL
One of the things you have to realize is what people build there jeeps for. Some like dirt roads, some like tough trails, and some like rock crawling. Chances are if that rig flopped it would have minimal damage. It has tons of armour (crusher corners, front and rear stingers, rocker knockers, tube fenders, full cage etc). Chances are the only things that would get damaged would be windshield or some body work on the hood. Also, people doing that kind of stuff in their jeeps usually don't use them as a dd either
__________________
2002 Dodge Dakota quad cab V8
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
frumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #23
DogHouse
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
One of the things you have to realize is what people build there jeeps for. Some like dirt roads, some like tough trails, and some like rock crawling. Chances are if that rig flopped it would have minimal damage. It has tons of armour (crusher corners, front and rear stingers, rocker knockers, tube fenders, full cage etc). Chances are the only things that would get damaged would be windshield or some body work on the hood. Also, people doing that kind of stuff in their jeeps usually don't use them as a dd either
X2

Your too old Bob!

I would not spend all the money I did on my Jeep for it to sit in some mall parkling lot or at car shows and to tell people yeah I drive a nice capable Jeep of rolling around in a parking lot. I build mine to withstand the stuff I like to wheel and that would be the most part for alot of offroaders. Some do have too much money but that's not the case for all. I saw a saying once" I don't wave cause you don't wheel!" Take it how you want but it makes enough sense to me and says it all.
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #24
Bigbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogHouse View Post
X2

Your too old Bob!

I would not spend all the money I did on my Jeep for it to sit in some mall parkling lot or at car shows and to tell people yeah I drive a nice capable Jeep of rolling around in a parking lot. I build mine to withstand the stuff I like to wheel and that would be the most part for alot of offroaders. Some do have too much money but that's not the case for all. I saw a saying once" I don't wave cause you don't wheel!" Take it how you want but it makes enough sense to me and says it all.
Now wait a minute. I wheel the heck out of my Jeep. Can't do it as much as I'd like, but when I can it is on some tuff trails. It sure ain't no mall cruzer or DD. I am saying I refuse to intentionally damage it. If my probability of rolling or flopping my $25,000.00 Jeep is high, I don't do it. I look at it like those kids, yes I'm old, who get glee from breaking a leg or busting their balls skateboarding down stairs. If it's gonna hurt why do it? I have driven enough trails over 30 + years of Jeeping to know what my limitations are. I cause plenty of damage just in normal wheelin, I don't intend to purposely roll the sucker for testosterone's sake.
__________________
2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #25
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER
 
BESRK's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 12,269
Here was a good lesson..

Built this...


Then, turned it into this...


Then, did this...


.. and wound up with this...


Now, I'm building up an 80 CJ5. However, I'm going to try my best to keep it looking good. No rolls, no endos, no jumps. Just some 33" tires and a mild build.

Sometimes, you can look at an obstacle... look at a rig.. and know there is absolutely no way the rig is gonna make it. I think that orange rig was actually trying to climb the depression to the right.. the ledge is smaller there. He probably got out of shape and the driver's side front tire ran up the face of the ledge before he could get off the throttle.
__________________
'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

Ground Pounder Fab


Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #26
DogHouse
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Now wait a minute. I wheel the heck out of my Jeep. Can't do it as much as I'd like, but when I can it is on some tuff trails. It sure ain't no mall cruzer or DD. I am saying I refuse to intentionally damage it. If my probability of rolling or flopping my $25,000.00 Jeep is high, I don't do it. I look at it like those kids, yes I'm old, who get glee from breaking a leg or busting their balls skateboarding down stairs. If it's gonna hurt why do it? I have driven enough trails over 30 + years of Jeeping to know what my limitations are. I cause plenty of damage just in normal wheelin, I don't intend to purposely roll the sucker for testosterone's sake.

Bob was not meant towards you. I wheel the heck out of mine and know my limitations of my Jeep and me. I go out also knowing there is a possibility that my Jeep may break and I accept that, because that's just part of the wheeling I like doing. It's all good just as long as we get out there and wheel and have a good time without ruining for others. In our club we always tell everyone that you don't have to do the same things as others are doing and no one will force you too. There is a little heckling but all in good fun. And last but not least no one gets left behind either.
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:45 AM   #27
DogHouse
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Here was a good lesson..

Built this...


Then, turned it into this...


Then, did this...


.. and wound up with this...


Now, I'm building up an 80 CJ5. However, I'm going to try my best to keep it looking good. No rolls, no endos, no jumps. Just some 33" tires and a mild build.

Sometimes, you can look at an obstacle... look at a rig.. and know there is absolutely no way the rig is gonna make it. I think that orange rig was actually trying to climb the depression to the right.. the ledge is smaller there. He probably got out of shape and the driver's side front tire ran up the face of the ledge before he could get off the throttle.
Dang it I loved that Jeep what happened to it?
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #28
Bigbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Here was a good lesson..

1 wheel drive? Nice looking CJ.
__________________
2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #29
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er
 
Divinitous's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY/NJ/PA Tri-State Middletown NY 10941, New York
Posts: 3,185
I've had some plans to do a fold down rear tire carrier for a while now. Just need some better welding skills, a welder, and a few more things to feel ready. But I have been hording some pics. Here's some ideas.
5120_lg.jpg   7981_lg.jpg   8609_lg.jpg   dscn0296-20small.jpg   dscn1839.jpg  

__________________
-Ryan
Google Voice (or the number Grape calls when drunk): 845-476-8182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #30
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er
 
Divinitous's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY/NJ/PA Tri-State Middletown NY 10941, New York
Posts: 3,185
Some more.
dscn1862.jpg   dscn2353.jpg   dscn2362.jpg   imga0044.jpg   poison-20spyder-20lj-20unlimited-20full-20cage.jpg  

__________________
-Ryan
Google Voice (or the number Grape calls when drunk): 845-476-8182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.