Fold "down" spare tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Fold "down" spare tire carrier

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

Fold "down" spare tire carrier

Hey guy, having trouble finding something and was looking to get more info on it. I saw a picture one time of someone who had built a fold down tire carrier that when folded down, turned into a storage rack. Pretty genius. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Floridazed

Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen it done using a parallelogram and i've seen it as just a flip down. I believe Poison Spyder makes a carrier like your talking about.

Poison Spyder customs rear Stinger bumper
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd think lifting the tire up with that mount more than once in a day would get old mighty quick. For sure, that woman in the top photo would have a hell of a time lifting it up by herself.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Bigbob

I don't get it either. The only possible advantage I can see in it may be the possible tire protection availed from the frame of the thing. But a spare tire mounted high like that usually won't get any trail hits. I do think the advantages of the tire protection would sure be out weighted by all the disadvantages of laying that mass on the ground and picking it back up every time you need to open the tailgate. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
frumpy

I have seen a few pictures of steep climbs where the stinger has either saved a roll completely or made the jeep flop off to the side rather then straight over backwards.
Unread 12-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

rollover protection and a skid for drop off protection
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy
I have seen a few pictures of steep climbs where the stinger has either saved a roll completely or made the jeep flop off to the side rather then straight over backwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richharr
rollover protection and a skid for drop off protection
Correct. We are talking about a hard core rig. Just stick the spare in back and put a stinger on the rear. For a family type rig I don't see any sense in it.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
DogHouse
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I agree this set up is not for everyone. I built mine because I have occasional back issues and it is easier for me to swing my tire carrier up than to thro my heavy A$$ 36" PJ and try to get it on the studs. In this application i just roll the tire onto the carrier and swing it upward. And also the stinger will help in a roll but I haven't tested that part out yet.
A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life."
That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

hmmm....Not quite what I was describing. What I saw actually folded down like that poison spider, but when it did, it created a rack. And the wheel was underneith the rack. You could still drive with it.
It amost created a spare cargo rack like you plug into the hitch receiver. You could put a cooler on it for example.
It was really neet. I believe it was home-built.
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I understand what you're talking about but I haven't see one. Sounds like a neat idea where it'd be like giving a Jeep it's own fold-down tail-gate to put stuff on.

Study the Poison spider version to see how they fit everything together. My guess is you'd probably have your main hinge on the bumper (like the PS rear stinger) with some anchor points on the body when its upright. It would be good to have some bushings to cut down on vibration noises. And when it's folded down I'd think you'd want a rigid strut or brace so it wouldn't bounce upward while driving.

I could see (with some difficulty) modifying thing so that perhaps the tailgate is incorporated into the rear fold down carrier or at least the tailgate folds down. That way, with the carrier folded down, and the tail-gate folded down it'd be like having a mini-pickup truck bed for longer cargo capacity. Maybe you can make some sides to it that can either fold up or are added to create a cargo box.

Just adding work for you here.
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
beachtaco
2004 TJ Wrangler 

for a trail rig, then i can see having the stinger/tire carrier combo. protects the rear tube/tire and giving a smoother transistion off of rocks. a buddy of mine has it on his sami. but if it was my DD, i wouldn't do it. it gets old really quick, pulling the pins and lowering the stinger/tire just to get to the rear area. and then reinstalling can be a pain to "pop" the bushings back in place and getting the pins reinstall.

another alternative is if you want that stinger concept is to make the stinger seperate from the tire carrier. my same buddy did it to his XJ. built the tire carrier first. wheeled it a few times and got tired of the tire slamming into rocks or obstacles. he built a stinger off the bumper and attached to the center of the tire, similar to the screw in method used in baja style tire carriers.
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just a thought, I never open my tailgate during daily driving, I have nothing there except recovery stuff. just a thought, how often do you use the "glove box" size space in the back?
Unread 12-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy
Picture a Jeep going up a steep climb, then picture how far the Jeep would have to be in its rearward roll for the stinger to even contact the ground. The Jeep would have to be well past vertical for the stinger to touch the ground and I don't see that stinger coming even close to stopping the building momentum.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Picture a Jeep going up a steep climb, then picture how far the Jeep would have to be in its rearward roll for the stinger to even contact the ground. The Jeep would have to be well past vertical for the stinger to touch the ground and I don't see that stinger coming even close to stopping the building momentum.
Jerry, I was thinking a low speed side roll. Your right about the end-over-end, I think you'd be screwed either way
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #15
frumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Unless it was a short steep climb, like a 4-5ft ledge.

I'll get some pictures off the net later. Its not the always going to save you, but depending on the type of trails they can be useful.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.