Floor panel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Floor panel

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Zyurazek

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Floor panel

Today I lifted up my carpet in the YJ and found a large area of rust in the driver side front floor panel. Would anyone be able to tell me how difficult it is to put in a new floor panel? What kind of welder I could use? I have never done any sort of welding before, but I am handy when it comes to making cuts and I learn quickly. Any pointers? I will try to upload a picture of the area.

image-2348865549.jpg

image-1092976148.jpg

Zyurazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thats a pretty major welding project to take on with limited experience. Your gonna need a small MIG welder or oxy-acetylene rig to weld it up- $$$, not to mention, welding RUSTED thin gauge steel is not easy, even for lots of experienced welders/fabricators. you could always just get some thin gauge steel or aluminum, cut to shape, rivet in, and seal with silicon or the likes. Would probably be easier and more cost effective... Not saying you shouldnt learn to weld, a decent 110V mig welder can be had for around $400... and thats going to limit you to 1/4" material. On top of the welder, your still gonna need a helmet, gloves, angle grinder and wheels, welding wire, gas, and consumables... definitely not a cheap hobby to get into.
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Find a local jeep or 4x4 club,there will be people there that has capabilities and equipment to weld a new panel in and you'll also gain some new freinds.

You can also buy a replacement pan just for that part and use a panel adhesive like 3M makes...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
You can also buy a replacement pan just for that part and use a panel adhesive like 3M makes...
What he said....

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22...FSEV7AodH2cAvA
Unread 12-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Zyurazek

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709
Would you be able to get away with just a panel adhesive for that much?

Before putting the panel down, should I cut away the rusted spots?
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyurazek View Post
Would you be able to get away with just a panel adhesive for that much?

Before putting the panel down, should I cut away the rusted spots?
Remove as much of the rust as possible then use a treatment like por 15. If done right adhesives can be used for larger sections. A lot of newer cars use more adhesives than welding to hold them together.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Panel adhesive is regularly used for full 1/4 panels,door skins,,trunk floors,,,etc etc...so yes..it is more than good enough for your repair and will hold for the lifetime of the vehicle if done right.

2 other things needed to buy before you do the chore...

1 TEK screws..or aka self tap sheet metal screws..these will be used to hold the new panel tighly and firmly in pace until the adhesive cures

2 "Seam sealer"..don't mistake a seam sealer for a panel adhesive...this will be used to fill the little holes from the TEK screws and used to insure a total sealed edge on the new panel on top and bottom side..both the adhesive and sealer are paintable..

Lay your new panel over the area where it will be replacing the old rusted area..draw a line around where it sit flat in there...take the new panel back out..

Measure down at least 1 inch and draw a line below where your current line is..this will be your cut line and give a good surface for the adhesive to bond to...

Cut the old rusted panel out along the lower line..

Sand that area to bare metal and CLEAN over and over..use acetone or MEK..Naptha..etc..a good solvent to insure no contaniments are there to inhibit the bond...

Lay your panel in where it will go for a mock up to make sure it fits snug on all the edges...if all looks fine..your ready for the panel replacement...

Run about a 1/4 inch bead of the adhesive either on the floor edge or the panel edge..in about a 1/2" or so from the edge of the panel..or 1/2" up from the edge on the floor area..

Lay your new panel in place..use your TEK screws to to screw the new panel in place all around the edge about a 1/2" down from the edge every few inches to make sure the panel is snug all the way around in place..do not tighten them so much it smashes the panel so tight it pushes all the panel adhesive all the way out..you want a very small gap between the 2..about a 32nd or 1/16th or so ...

Once all done and satisfied with the fitment..use a putty knife to remove all the access adhesive around the edge to make sanding later much easier and a better appearance...

Let sit for 24 hours or more..or whatever the adhesive manufacturer recommends according to the temperature it was applied...

Once cured..remove the TEK screws..now use the seam sealer to fill the holes from the screws..top side and under side..i would also use the seam sealer to put around all the edges on top and bottom side for extra insurance of a good seal...

Your done...good primer..then paint or bedliner or whatever you decide on...

I would only use the 3M adhesive...there is alot of "knocks offs" but the 3M is the best out there hands down and you wouldn;t problems from a cheaper brand surfacing later down the road...

For some instructions and pics to see what is involved and how easy it really is...do a google search for "Panel adhesive new floorpans"..plety of people that did it with write ups on it

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Zyurazek

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709
Panel adhesive is regularly used for full 1/4 panels,door skins,,trunk floors,,,etc
Thank you! That is great information!!! If I wanted to replace the panel under the seat after it replace this panel, can I use the same technique although it will be connecting to the panel currently being replaced?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.