flip up winch mounted license plate bracket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > flip up winch mounted license plate bracket

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
dukegnarley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

flip up winch mounted license plate bracket

I wanted to move my license plate from the stock location on the front bumper up to where the winch fairlead is so it wouldn't get bashed up as much. I also wanted to make it harder to steal than just having it clipped to the rollers. I saw the Tough stuff license plate holder and liked it.... Until I saw the $70 + shipping price tag. Seriously? $70 for a license plate holder?

Here's how you can make your own.

I got everything I needed from Home depot except for the sheet metal which I got from another local hardware chain.

you will need:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2x 1-1/2" conduit hangers ($0.67 each at Home Depot)

2x Safety Hasps, about 4 inches long each ($4.59 each at Home Depot)

1 piece of sheet metal at least 12"x6" I got a 16 ga 18" x6" piece from the hardware store for $7.50 ish

4 1/4-20 nuts and 4 bolts ($0.98 total at Home depot)

you will also need some paint, but you probably have that already.

grand total (minus paint) = $19

Step 1.

bend the conduit hangers until they look like this. you will have to cut some of the ends off to make it work (stock on left, bent on right)

some people use mag light clips, but they are more expensive

make sure they fit.

Step 2

get out your Saftey Hasps and discard the portion that holds the lock. When you buy your hasps, make sure that they are made of flat metal and don't have ridges.

If you are using the same hasps I am, then make a mark in the middle of the small section, 5/8" away from the edge. (bottom in this pic)

Center punch it and drill it out to 5/8"

Step 3

mark a line on the hasp 1-7/8" away from the hinge.

place the hasp into a vice up to the line, then bend it 90 degrees. Make sure you bend it the right way.

Step 4.

Remove the retaining clips holding in the pins on your roller fairlead, and install the bent up hasps. Replace the clips.

Step 5.

Trace out your license plate on your sheet metal, then cut it out.

Step 6.

Tack weld (or screw or rivet) the sheet metal to the hasps. I used the top of the winch plate to make sure everything was straight.

check for clearances

Then add a few more tacks to make it solid. Flip it down and tack on the clips you made earlier.

Step 7

use your license plate as a template and mark hole locations.

drill them out to 1/4", and attach your license plate with the 1/4" hardware you bought earlier.

Now you are almost done, just check your clearances once more, then take it apart and paint it.

Step 8

Take the $51 dollars plus shipping you saved, and put it towards a new bumper.

AW4 swap with awshifter = DONE
custom console
flatdash

Last edited by dukegnarley; 12-04-2009 at 02:37 PM..
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
XJisTHErightWAY
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You sir are a saint. You just saved me $30 Yours look nicer than the one I was looking at on Quadratec. Cheap little pop off holder. Nicely done sir.
Unread 12-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done! Another way to get the license plate off the bumper but easily removeable is to mount the plate to a piece of sheet metal and screw a pair of $5 Mag-Lite D-Cell flashlight holder clips to it. The clips fit the winch fairlead rollers perfectly and allow the license plate to be unsnapped & snapped back into place. That's how I have had mine mounted for years.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
dukegnarley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Nicely done! Another way to get the license plate off the bumper but easily removeable is to mount the plate to a piece of sheet metal and screw a pair of $5 Mag-Lite D-Cell flashlight holder clips to it. The clips fit the winch fairlead rollers perfectly and allow the license plate to be unsnapped & snapped back into place. That's how I have had mine mounted for years.

I was looking into that, as it is also very cheap to do, but I wanted to keep the license plate permanently attached. I have a bad habit of misplacing things when they aren't tied down some how. This makes it a little less likely to be stolen, although I'm not sure if anyone would.
AW4 swap with awshifter = DONE
custom console
flatdash
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

Thank you for this write up unfortunatly now I have one more thing I NEED to make.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
kercher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

really nice. i like how it is solid mounted as opposed to just "snap on" & "snap off".
kercher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
ajones8230
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Love it! I'll be heading to the depot this weekend to pickup the parts and start creating my new plate mount. Thanks for the excellent write-up!
ajones8230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice bump, this project is now on the short list things to do soon.
tangotag is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
1999TJRED85000

Nice job. I know this is an older thread, but I just read it. Nice.
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
MaddogMedic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukegnarley
I wanted to move my license plate from the stock location on the front bumper up to where the winch fairlead is so it wouldn't get bashed up as much. I also wanted to make it harder to steal than just having it clipped to the rollers. I saw the Tough stuff license plate holder and liked it.... Until I saw the $70 + shipping price tag. Seriously? $70 for a license plate holder?

Here's how you can make your own.

I got everything I needed from Home depot except for the sheet metal which I got from another local hardware chain.

you will need:

2x 1-1/2" conduit hangers ($0.67 each at Home Depot)

2x Safety Hasps, about 4 inches long each ($4.59 each at Home Depot)

1 piece of sheet metal at least 12"x6" I got a 16 ga 18" x6" piece from the hardware store for $7.50 ish

4 1/4-20 nuts and 4 bolts ($0.98 total at Home depot)

you will also need some paint, but you probably have that already.

grand total (minus paint) = $19

Step 1.

bend the conduit hangers until they look like this. you will have to cut some of the ends off to make it work (stock on left, bent on right)

some people use mag light clips, but they are more expensive

make sure they fit.

Step 2

get out your Saftey Hasps and discard the portion that holds the lock. When you buy your hasps, make sure that they are made of flat metal and don't have ridges.

If you are using the same hasps I am, then make a mark in the middle of the small section, 5/8" away from the edge. (bottom in this pic)

Center punch it and drill it out to 5/8"

Step 3

mark a line on the hasp 1-7/8" away from the hinge.

place the hasp into a vice up to the line, then bend it 90 degrees. Make sure you bend it the right way.

Step 4.

Remove the retaining clips holding in the pins on your roller fairlead, and install the bent up hasps. Replace the clips.

Step 5.

Trace out your license plate on your sheet metal, then cut it out.

Step 6.

Tack weld (or screw or rivet) the sheet metal to the hasps. I used the top of the winch plate to make sure everything was straight.

check for clearances

Then add a few more tacks to make it solid. Flip it down and tack on the clips you made earlier.

Step 7

use your license plate as a template and mark hole locations.

drill them out to 1/4", and attach your license plate with the 1/4" hardware you bought earlier.

Now you are almost done, just check your clearances once more, then take it apart and paint it.

Step 8

Take the $51 dollars plus shipping you saved, and put it towards a new bumper.
Very Nice Job
MaddogMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
ajones8230
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Built it today! A little difficulty with the pins not being long enough after the hasps went through them, but we ground down the roller bracket some to get the c-clips back on. Fun project with my son and much cheaper than $70 and shipping. We spent $22 at the depot.
down.jpg   flip.jpg   welding.jpg  
Unread 07-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

heres howI did mine. Drilled and tapped fairlead, bolted a hinge to them, epoxied magnets to the back. Total cost less than $5
dsc02706-640x480-.jpg   dsc02709-640x480-.jpg  
Unread 07-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
ajones8230
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool. An easier an cheaper method... Always a day late ;-)
Unread 07-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not to take away from a neat idea (or an old thread) but... what stops the plate from falling down and getting FUBARed and/or damaging the cable while reeling in the winch and the vehicle is moving over rough terrain?
Unread 07-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same set up on my CJ for over 5 years, been on the TJ for over a year. Never had any problems with it damaging the cable. It does fall down sometimes. Once I go to synthetic rope I will probely do something diiferent.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.