Flattening a pice of tube - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Flattening a pice of tube

Hey guys I want to put a stinger on my stubby bumper I buit. I don't want to put the stinger on the front because i think it will look too crowded when I get the winch and fair lead on. So I was thinking of flattening the ends of the tube and welding it to the sides of the bumper.

How much do you guys think this would compromise the strength of the tube?
What do you think the best way to flatten the tube would be?

I'll try and get some pics or at least a sketch of what I'm talkin about. Just give me a little while and I'll get one up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Serg5000
2008 JK Wrangler 

Why flatten the tubing? Why not just cut and weld.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think it would look goofy With the tube just sitting on the side of the bumper

Quote:
Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you flatten the tube it will be much easier to bend at the flattened part.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

But the bend at the point of the stinger would triangulate it and keep the strength right?

Quote:

post #6 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 PM
MO2500
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you want the stinger to look cool or actually function and possibly prevent a front endo? Serious question because a lot of stingers are built for the "look" of a stinger and are not as functional as people think they are.

If you can answer that question you probably already know the answer. If it's going to be somewhat functional then don't compromise the strength of the tube by flattening it.

Instagram: @omsmike
post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 AM
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

weld plate at angles off of it and smooth it out it'll look cleaner then if that's what "look" your trying to get

here is my build threads

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/randys-offroad-trailer-1164102/
post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Notch halfway into the tube. Have about 1/2 the tube sit on the top of the bumper with the remaining half running down the side. If you make the long vertical tapered, you can pound the end in carefully to give it a cleaner look..

Here's a cheesy Paint drawing of what I mean..

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Abaddon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with Besrk cut it to fit dont smash it. If you dont want the tube to sit on top of the bumper at all then cope it so it fits the side.

Not only will smashing it cause a weak spot but it will look worse then you think.

However if your just bent on smashing the tube and doing it your way either heat it and clamp it in a vice or heat it and use a hammer on an anvil

The heat will also cause a weaker spot as your probably going to have to heat it red hot then weld it adding more heat and while heating it your traping gases inside the steel causeing pockets to form. These pockets will cause the steel to split under stress. This is the reason welding uses a sheild gas or flux. A luxury you dont have when heating a peice of steel.

You maybe able to do it with out heat using the hammer and anvil but be prepared to work for it and in either case if your seam weld in the tube is to the side instead of the bottom of the bends and inside of the smashed area expect it to split.

This stuff may not always happen but it is the cons of doing it with out any real pros.

Anyway just an old welders rule of thumb good luck in either case
post #10 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's probably more for looks but I still like things input on the jeep to have some kind of function even of I don't use it all of the time. When joust cope it to fit on the sides are you saying to cut it down lengthwise with the tube? I might have to look at that

Quote:

post #11 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Beserk I think I'm liking that idea that Is pro only what I'll use

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.