first welds? (opinions ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > first welds? (opinions )

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Hey guys first time using a mig welder, figured a welding stand would be a good first project. I am using a harbart handler 210 mvp ( using the 110v though, still have to change outlet to correct one) and using flux cored wire.35 if you guys could just give me some pointers in making my welds better that would be great the first 4 pictures are on 1/8in angle iron and the others are on 16 gauge square tubing. It seems like the 16 gauge is a little thin for the flux core wire. Any advice I can get would be great!

orange80cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

I see no pics...
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Hold on I will post pictures of the welds but it won't let me do it anymore? It is saying that my pictures are to large, is this new
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

http://m1331.photobucket.com/albums/...psc2ad5f6b.jpg

I added the pictures to photo bucket but it messed up the order the 3,4, 7,8 are the angle iron and the 1,2,5,6 are the 16 gauge... Sorry for the mess
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Anyone?
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The pics were a little on the small side so it was kind of difficult to see. I would say some welds looked pretty good, while others looked "fair"? Doesn't look like any of them are going to all apart.

All in all, not bad for first time flux core.. with 110. I'd get the 220 outlet installed as soon as possible, and switch to Gas with Solid Wire to get a cleaner weld.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
The pics were a little on the small side so it was kind of difficult to see. I would say some welds looked pretty good, while others looked "fair"? Doesn't look like any of them are going to all apart.

All in all, not bad for first time flux core.. with 110. I'd get the 220 outlet installed as soon as possible, and switch to Gas with Solid Wire to get a cleaner weld.
Thanks and im trying too, about gas is there any big difference between 100 % C02 vs c25? And do you work the weld puddle any different with solid wire?
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
SkippyPB13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Practice practice and oh yeah more practice. And read all the threads here there are some pros around that give some great advice and knowledge

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm by far not an expert, but one of the first things I learned is that heat is very important. Look for flatness in a weld and not one that is "sitting on top" of the material. My first project was a cart. I used a couple of bed frames from a resale shop, $10. If I screwed it up< it's cheap. Good luck. NEVER weld on galvanized steel.
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

lookin good for a newbie! looks like you just need to slow your travel speed a little bit, hold your hand very steady a just slowly DRAG your puddle with NO manipulation. manipulation with flux core can easily cause slag pockets (inclusions), its even easier to get slag inclusions when manipulating with 110v, simply because you dont always have enough heat to get the slag to "float" to the top of the puddle while its in molten form. Manipulation is usually not necessary with ANY electric welding process, usually only "needed" when welding out of position (vertical or overhead), and to fill in joints with poor fit-up.

get your 220V going, and try welding with some solid wire and gas (25% CO2 75% AR works best for most applications). when welding with solid wire, just push your weld, no manipulation "needed"... however, most people like to do small circles, Z weave, or a C pattern.
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDubyaJ View Post
lookin good for a newbie! looks like you just need to slow your travel speed a little bit, hold your hand very steady a just slowly DRAG your puddle with NO manipulation. manipulation with flux core can easily cause slag pockets (inclusions), its even easier to get slag inclusions when manipulating with 110v, simply because you dont always have enough heat to get the slag to "float" to the top of the puddle while its in molten form. Manipulation is usually not necessary with ANY electric welding process, usually only "needed" when welding out of position (vertical or overhead), and to fill in joints with poor fit-up.

get your 220V going, and try welding with some solid wire and gas (25% CO2 75% AR works best for most applications). when welding with solid wire, just push your weld, no manipulation "needed"... however, most people like to do small circles, Z weave, or a C pattern.
Okay thanks a lot, I will definitely try Just to pull the puddle tomorrow, would that work even on the T Joints? I feel like those welds are not coming out good at all
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If theres slag... drag, general rule of thumb for most joint types. It also looks like your wire speed might be a bit too high, trying turning it down little by little until you find that "sweet spot", you shouldnt hear much popping- just a nice smooth hiss, keep your wire stickout at 3/8" - 1/2" and you shouldnt get much spatter.
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDubyaJ View Post
If theres slag... drag, general rule of thumb for most joint types. It also looks like your wire speed might be a bit too high, trying turning it down little by little until you find that "sweet spot", you shouldnt hear much popping- just a nice smooth hiss, keep your wire stickout at 3/8" - 1/2" and you shouldnt get much spatter.
And when you say drag you mean with the tilt of the gun like this________/
Nice picture right haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.