First welder project, stubby bumper. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > First welder project, stubby bumper.

Spartan Locker 1 day sale This Friday only!Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 Custom Control Arms from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
AdamLC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

First welder project, stubby bumper.

Well i started w/ a little flux core 110 welder and an A to Z fabrication bumper plate. A little in progress pictures because its still hanging in my garage waiting on the bed coating to dry. Ill post up when i get it installed. Suggestion or comments on the clevis welds? Most welds are doubled up on the back at least a few on the front are. Dont mind the mess my garage ended up as a disaster during this.

AdamLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
xSoFx
2006 WK 

I would definately test out those recovery points before you need them. It's not so much that the weld looks good, it's the penetration into the material. 110v even with flux core is going to have a hard time digging into 1" steel, if at all. Just my .02
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
AdamLC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know that worried me too. When I was welding into the recovery mounts I was trying to put a lot of heat into the clevis mount to get as much penetration as I could. Then welded on top of that first weld back into the clevis mount. I kinda wish I coulda welded front and back of the back but I just didn't plan it out well enough.
AdamLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.