first timer flux core welder. fist project. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > first timer flux core welder. fist project.

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Yeah the HF wire sucks and doesn't burn well. The penetration stinks. The Hobart wire gives me much better heat and penetration so i can usually speed up the wire instead of going so slow waiting for good penetration.

Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #17
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Flux core is just ugly and messy. Dont stress too much about it.

check it out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/hysterias-90-yj-build-1190617/
jclauson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
97 ZJ Steve
1995 ZJ 

Just remember to practice, practice, practice and when you think you are fairly good at it practice some more.

Keep Jeeping,

-Steve
97 ZJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #19
ramlebliberty

lincoln flux cored wire works good too. For welding the thinner materials, I usually go with a faster wire speed. Do not try to run a bead, you'll burn right through with the hot flux cored wire. Instead do a stitch weld, moving from one end to the other tacking the metal until you have a uniform weld. It takes time, and patience, but I've done body panels, rust repair, even welded in larger wheel wells in a XJ with flux cored. Practice makes perfect, and get ready to grind down your mess!
ramlebliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

MIG always has lots of spatter, flux core is the worst. You can get some spatter spray to keep it from sticking, or just use the nozzle spray. That grade five bolt you welded was probably cad plated, anything with a coating like zinc or cad is going to blow up like that.
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #21
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanked View Post
first project. what you guys think? i keep getting lots of splatter even if im cleaning the metal beforehand. I've also tried limiting the wire feed but i still get splatter. I also regularly burnt through the thin metal but with the thicker L channel pieces i think i did really good for a first project.
It looks like hammered **** but it's suppose to right now till you get a lot of practice under your belt then things will look much better.

My first project was with thicker metal and had lots of splatter and piss poor beads but it's still holding together.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #22
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77351wcj5 View Post
MIG always has lots of spatter, flux core is the worst. You can get some spatter spray to keep it from sticking, or just use the nozzle spray. That grade five bolt you welded was probably cad plated, anything with a coating like zinc or cad is going to blow up like that.
Mig has lots of splatter? Really? As you can see in this pict the burn has not been removed and it is a fresh bead. There has been no spray applied either.
I get this kind of bead pretty regularly with my mig, I do get a buck shot or two every now an again but not often.

Unread 08-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #23
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^ yeah i dont know what he was talking about mig with lots of spatter... more like

mig with improper settings, weld angle, and or weld speed has lots of spatter.

now i want to play a game... guess the welder. Are you using a millermatic? With 100% Argon?

just thought I would guess

check it out
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #24
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Maybe he meant flux has a lot of splatter?
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #25
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

alright so flux is ugly and messy but what is it strong enough for? i want to weld a longer bracket onto my bumper so it goes farther down the frame. will a flux core do the job and be strong enough?

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #26
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

one more thing, what do u guys think does it look good? ill paint it with bedliner later today
photo0761.jpg  

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #27
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Only when it is not ran correctly............

Both ran on a scrap test peice with Lincoln 180T...

Top is .035 Fluxcore...

Bottom is .035 MIG 75/25 gas....

Wire brushed only,no spatter spray or grinding...

Fluxcore is a much stronger weld than MIG,it gets better penetration because it burns hotter and holds the post heat in longer because of the flux,which makes it a stronger weld..
For sheetmetal MIG is more preferable because it won't burn through as easy.
fluxcore1.jpg   mig3passes.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson View Post
^^ yeah i dont know what he was talking about mig with lots of spatter... more like

mig with improper settings, weld angle, and or weld speed has lots of spatter.

now i want to play a game... guess the welder. Are you using a millermatic? With 100% Argon?

just thought I would guess
Nope....Hobart Ironman 230 75/25.
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is from me, a newbie learning on a HH187. Didn't brush anything off WHAT SO EVER. Picture is straight after weld...Super messy right?
hallway94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #30
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Nope....Hobart Ironman 230 75/25.
Worth a shot!

check it out

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.