First project complete! Rear bumper/carrier - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > First project complete! Rear bumper/carrier

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Eddie (BESRK) I think also sells DIY bumper parts. A to Z has nice stuff too.

BTW, I wasent trying to give you a "safety lesson" Just saying that no matter what you think you are doing as safe as possible, something is bound to happen to you anyway.
No, I didnt take it that way. Youre absolutely right. On a related note, I took the wife's advice and just went to the hospital, my eye was hurting more this morning than yesterday. They just pulled a metal splinter out Turns out something shot in there while I was grinding. Always wear safety goggles!

I need to take a look at Besrk's ebay page. Havent done that in a while. Good idea.

Unread 12-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Bad_Karma
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice work!
Unread 12-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #18
Jeep_tj_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

quote**Shackle tabs are 1/2" quote**

are you sure they look way bigger in the pics more like 1''
Jeep_tj_97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_tj_97 View Post
quote**Shackle tabs are 1/2" quote**

are you sure they look way bigger in the pics more like 1''
Good catch, yes they are. I need to fix that.
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
I need to take a look at Besrk's ebay page. Havent done that in a while. Good idea.
I would just PM him instead. I don't think he posts everything that he sell on EBay.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent work my friend! And for this being your very 1st time building and welding I would say you are a natural and have some great skills and abilities. If you ever decide to build to sell let me know and I'll support you and buy one.

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Excellent work my friend! And for this being your very 1st time building and welding I would say you are a natural and have some great skills and abilities. If you ever decide to build to sell let me know and I'll support you and buy one.
Wow, thanks! Right now I need to work out a few kinks, standardize measurements and I want to do something to differentiate what I make from what others make. I dont think Ill ever be able to do full out sales like Eddie and a few others here do but i might be able to turn a few out here and there for a few extra bucks! And I have a long way to go before Ill be able to put out that kind of quality. I still need more practice though. I refuse to take anyone's money unless I know Im giving them the best that I can deliver. And if nothing else, this first build has given me a huge new respect for those of you all that do this for a living. Its a lot more work than I thought it was going to be.
Unread 12-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #23
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Your bumper really turned out great. A job well done.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Think "mass production", templates, jigs, outsourcing and "industrial strength" equipment.

Take any $$$ you earn and dump it right back into your shop.. bigger welder, plasma cutter, 7" grinder, welding table, big vise, mill/drill, dual stage compressor..etc.

The sayings.. "a penny saved is a penny earned" and "it takes money to make money" must have been coined by someone making bumpers for a living

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #25
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
The sayings.. "a penny saved is a penny earned" and "it takes money to make money" must have been coined by someone making bumpers for a living

I absolutely agree with re-investing it. Ive been eyeballing larger welders, tube benders, plasma cutters... I cant get enough of this stuff. Again, I really have no intention on going to full blown production, I just really enjoy building things. Its funny you said that because everytime I think about the possibility of making a few $$$, I automatically go to "how many X would I need to make to pay for an X..."
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #26
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Trust me.. double the amount of Xs that you think you'll need, and you'll be halfway there.. J/K

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #27
TruckCenter_518

Nice work
Unread 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #28
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for all the compliments. My gas can mounts finally came in. So I spent a couple hours adding it to the carrier:

Only thing I have left now is a spring latch that Ill weld onto the spindle. It keeps the carrier locked open or closed.

For anyone that got to see it up close, I originally had a small oversite where the tailgate would touch the spindle when it was half way open. I fixed that by shaving about 1/16" off of one side of the castlated nut. Now it opens all the way as it should. I also had an issue where the hi-lift would hit the tail light if the carrier was opened all the way, I just flipped the hi-lift to the inside of the mount and no more problems.
Unread 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #29
justanotherjpr

Great work! How did you cut the slots for the d ring tabs?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #30
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Great work! How did you cut the slots for the d ring tabs?
Thanks. I outlined where the tabs needed to go with a marker then drilled a hole in each corner all the way through on the drill press (to make sure it was even front and rear). Cant remember the size of the drill hole but the bigger the better as long as you dont go outside the lines you made earlier. From there play connect the dots with a grinder! Pretty easy just time consuming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.