Finally a new welder! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Finally a new welder!

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Finally a new welder!

Finally got the chance to pick up a new machine. I had been using an old Snap-On 140amp unit. It proved to be inconsistent at best. Some days it made beautiful welds, other days I wanted to run it over.

Yesterday I picked up a Hobart 210mvp. Also came with a cart and a decent sized gas bottle. Plus a new 10lb spool.

So far I've just done a few test beads on some scrap, but I can already tell I'm going to like this one a lot more. My weld started to pool much quicker, and looks a bit cleaner. I don't have a 230v outlet in the garage yet, but I will definitely be putting one in soon.

My favorite part is that I was probably going to pull the trigger on a brand new one soon. I got this one for less than the price of new, including the bottle.

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I finally hooked up a 220v outlet in the garage. So I got to play around with that for a while yesterday.

I am having a little trouble with getting my bead to feel consistent. It feels like the wire speed is too fast, but if I turn it down any, it's not fast enough. I am still getting decent welds, and great penetration. I am assuming there is a slight learning curve moving up to 220v?
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Sounds like it was a used machine? Make sure your liner is in good shape and not worn out or kinked or even a bugs nest causing the inconsistent welds if it has been sitting a while. 220v should prove to be much smoother than 110. look at your feed rolls to make sure they are clean and not rusty or have some dirt hi spot causing a hi/lo pressure as it turns. Push the wire up against a piece of wood to check roller tension, it should push your hand a little then spin but not crush or bind on the wire (I have a feeder that will accordion .045 and less if I use all four rolls). Post some pics of the welds if you can. What gas/wire type and size combo are you using?

For most "Jeep" work, 70s6 wire (.23-.030) and a good 75/25 gas will work great, a tri mix (ar/co2/o2) mix will produce a more fluid weld in the right situation using 70s6.

Hope that helps!

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, it is a used machine. I did some more work with it today, and I got better. I actually turned the wire speed up a little and I did better. The welds actually look pretty good. Plenty of penetration. Welding up 1/4" brackets, and it is nice and blue on the back side of the steel. I think part of the problem is I am not used to how much it burns into the material. I'll get a picture up in a bit.
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a couple pictures of what I did today. Running .035 wire, with C25. Actually, the wire might be why it seems different. I had .030 in the other welder. I was also using 75/25 Argon/co2 before as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1370717084811.jpg   1370717095987.jpg  
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

not too bad....get out of the habit of whipping the puddle and run one consistant hot pass...you have alot of undercut..start doing just a steady consistant pass and watch the fill...let it fill just to where you see the puddle completely fill...

Whipping back n forth and in and out causes undercut and weld stress

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

X2, w/110 you probably did not have a choice, now the weld is you oyster, did I just say oyster? LOL Your on! Have fun.
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
not too bad....get out of the habit of whipping the puddle and run one consistant hot pass...you have alot of undercut..start doing just a steady consistant pass and watch the fill...let it fill just to where you see the puddle completely fill...

Whipping back n forth and in and out causes undercut and weld stress
Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a try next time. So just kinda run straight down the joint? Or move back and forth very slightly?
Unread 06-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Let it flow first, then oscillate a little if it does not reach what you intended. Keep in mind a double pass may work better if it is too wide. Your oscillation should be faster than your pics show. Practice a lot.
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Trying it more like you guys said. How's this look?

1370807759933.jpg  
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

These definitely look a lot better than I was doing yesterday. At least in my opinion. Here's one more:

1370811497169.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.