Finally finished the Removable Steps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Finally finished the Removable Steps

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 10-31-2003, 03:59 PM   #1
MangesMade

Finally finished the Removable Steps

I started this project mainly because the steps were to high for Gr. Ma to get up on when they were bolted directly to the underside of the floor. Besides that, when you stepped up on them, they were so high that you had to duck to get in. They were just cumbersome to get on and off of
So I made a set of female receivers to bolt onto the frame.
Then with a MangesMade Bracket, I welded it to a short piece of square tubing, Then I bolted the factory steps to the Bracket.
The Square Tubing mates to the receiver on the frame and is
held in place by a pin.....Just like a trailer hitch.
IF the going should get rough or if I need to transfer them to my other Jeep, (which will also have a set of female receivers bolted to its frame). I can easily remove them by just pulling the pin and the complete assembly slides out.
Thanks in advance for any ideas to better them.....
Whew !!!!! It took longer to post these pictures than it did to build it all.

Getting Started:

Placing a thin piece of Card Board between the reciever and
Square Tubing to maintain a good fit:

One Done :

Showing how it fits together:

Pin is visiable between muffler and step.
Sorry about the Dirt

Finally Gr. Ma can get in easily

Unread 10-31-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
CETROV

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That is pretty sweet. Nice job!
Unread 11-01-2003, 09:48 AM   #3
rustyCJ

so how far down does your step receiver hang past the bottom of your skid?

will getting hung up on them be a concern?

like the fab skillz and idea
Unread 11-01-2003, 04:42 PM   #4
V8Racing

Wow nice job mate, i might to do that on my cj
Unread 11-08-2003, 11:09 PM   #5
MangesMade

RustyCJ

You asked "so how far down does your step receiver hang past the bottom of your skid? will getting hung up on them be a concern?
I'm sorry it took so long to reply.....
Yes the reciever hanging down would be a problem if I were to be dragging on my frame.....but it wouldn't be as bad as dragging the whole step.
The step receiver hangs down just a few inches below the bottom of the frame rail. BUT, the Tansfercase Skid hangs down further.
BTW.....the only reason that it hangs down is because I had to come under the muffler. The headers are outside the frame type headers and the muffler is between the frame and outside edge with the exhaust pipe coming out right in front of the rear tire.
I had to work around that. I couldn't go over it as it's to close to the floor. Had that not been in the way, I would have mounted the step reciever higher on the frame and just angled the (Male) square tubing and step to a decent step height....Then when removed, nothing would have been hanging down.
If you don't have anything in the way, you could bolt it level with the frame rail or higher..... If you are able to step up to the higher step, you could bolt it to the frame rail leaving just enough room so that the ( male ) square tubing doesn't touch the bottom of the floor to vibrate.
Thanks, Hope this helps.
Unread 11-08-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
MangesMade

V8Racing.....

Checked out your site.....
Wish I had the time to do what your doing......Have you started putting it back together yet ?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.