fiberglass bikini with speaker pods? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > fiberglass bikini with speaker pods?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Shawn94
1998 TJ Wrangler 

fiberglass bikini with speaker pods?

I'm thinking of creating a fiberglass bikini top with an integrated sound bar and dome light. I figure it will cut out all of the flapping noise and allow you to listen to your stereo without blowing your speakers.

I was wondering what you guys think? If I could find a market for them I have the capability to produce them.

They could also hold light bars, cb radios, map lights or whatever.

Let me here your opinions.
Thanks.

Shawn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is an awesome idea...especially if you can make it work on TJ's too ? )
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Shawn94
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is the plan, we are going to make the first one with my yj and go from there. Thanks for the input. I'll try to get some pics up in a few weeks.
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd buy one, especially if the factory hard top would fit over it.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
USAFRecon

I would definitely go for this, I like that idea, can't wait to see pics.
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How do you plan on attaching the rear?
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Shawn94
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
I'd buy one, especially if the factory hard top would fit over it.
That is something we haven't talked about but will consider for sure. That's the kind of input we are looking for, thanks.
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Shawn94
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TJX View Post
How do you plan on attaching the rear?
We are considering a Ubolt style clamp as long as it looks clean, or maybe molding a few buckle straps into the fiberglass.
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
jeepn012
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Might not be a bad idea to incorporate the screw knobs from the door surrounds on the TJ to hold it on. Not sure if the hardtop will fit over that, though. Hell by drilling a couple of holes, you could make that work on a YJ too.......

It'll be hard to make the hardtop fit over it and make it weather proof.....unless you are just going for sun protection.

Maybe start with a free/cheap cracked hardtop for ideas.

Oh, I really like this idea, BTW.
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/happy-wife-happy-life-05-lj-rubi-budget-build-1481914/[/url]
jeepn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Shawn94
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn012 View Post
Might not be a bad idea to incorporate the screw knobs from the door surrounds on the TJ to hold it on. Not sure if the hardtop will fit over that, though. Hell by drilling a couple of holes, you could make that work on a YJ too.......

It'll be hard to make the hardtop fit over it and make it weather proof.....unless you are just going for sun protection.

Maybe start with a free/cheap cracked hardtop for ideas.

Oh, I really like this idea, BTW.
I'll check those out, we are going to do are best to keep it a no drill install and make it fit over roll bar padding.
Unread 07-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

Here's my roll cage. It has speakers, switches, lights and cb intigrated. I plan on doing a hard top for it down the road out of FG. Ill have some finished pics of it this weekend and hopefully I should get it in and get the wiring started.

Its upside down but you get the picture
Unread 07-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
tjsahara1979
2007 JK Wrangler 

What about a safari type top? Or a duster cover type?
'01 TJ Sahara. 3" BDS lift, 1" PA BL, 33x12.50x15 Nokian Vatiiva M/Ts, Durango steering box, soft 8s, RE steering stabilizer, and one LOUD effin' train horn :)

Green Jeep Club Member #183
tjsahara1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Shawn94
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsahara1979 View Post
What about a safari type top? Or a duster cover type?
Those could be possible down the road. We are going to spend some time perfecting the bikini right now. We are going to start the prototype in a week or two and then spend some time testing and tweaking it. We plan on doing it with and without speakers.

We are taking as much input as possible before we start, we would like the first one to be close to what people will want.

This concern right now is how will people want to mount it. Rigid style clamps? Adjustable straps? We know most people would like to stay away from drilling.

We are thinking of using the visor and center loop holes to mount the front.

Keep the feedback coming.
Unread 07-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
chuddly
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have done a TON of custom fiberglass work and i am going to build one for my jeep like what you are talking about. I have already thought up a way to make it mount UNDER the factory soft top or hard top.

You just have the FG custom top go from the center of the roll bar hoop to the visor mounts (like you had said.) and for the rear mold a 1/4 round on the back so it goes 1/4 way around the roll bar hoop. Then to attach it rivet a strap with buckle on the top and bottom (rivets so it wont leak water down onto the driver). and strap around the roll bar.

I had planned on putting little "gutter exits" on the rear corners of mine so it its rains then you drive then the water has a place to go and it goes behind you.
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
Shawn94
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuddly View Post
i have done a TON of custom fiberglass work and i am going to build one for my jeep like what you are talking about. I have already thought up a way to make it mount UNDER the factory soft top or hard top.

You just have the FG custom top go from the center of the roll bar hoop to the visor mounts (like you had said.) and for the rear mold a 1/4 round on the back so it goes 1/4 way around the roll bar hoop. Then to attach it rivet a strap with buckle on the top and bottom (rivets so it wont leak water down onto the driver). and strap around the roll bar.

I had planned on putting little "gutter exits" on the rear corners of mine so it its rains then you drive then the water has a place to go and it goes behind you.
It sounds like we pretty much have the same idea, I like the drip rail idea.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.