Face Mounting a Stinger.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Face Mounting a Stinger..

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Face Mounting a Stinger..

I've seen a few folks ask about how to cut/mount a stinger to the face of their bumper. Since I was working on one this morning, I thought I'd snap a few cell phone pics and explain how I work out the cuts on the ends of the legs..

After bending the stinger, I use a Roofing Square and put a "reference mark" on each leg.. at the end of the square.

I can then measure an equal distance from those reference points to cut the legs to length.. with both sides symmetrical..

Next, I stand the stinger up on a flat surface (here a piece of steel sheet) and prop the tip of the stinger up with something (like a jackstand)... I use an angle finder to get the desired angle (usually somewhere around 45-50deg or so..)..

Once I get the stinger at the desired angle, I mark the bottom of the legs with a paint pen. I lay the pen on a spacer (here a piece of 1" thick scap), and slide the pen around the end of each leg. It's important that the pen lay flat on the spacer.. and remain horizontal as you slide it around.. don't let it tip up/down at the end.

I then clamp the stinger in a vise and orient the cut lines so that they are "vertical" when seen from the end. This makes it easy to simply cut straight down the line..

Last step is to cut the ends with whatever tool you have.. Portable Bandsaw, Sawzall, Plasma, Cutoff Wheel, even a Hacksaw..

If you use this method, it's fairly quick and usually results in very little grinding to get the legs nice and flat against the bumper surface. With the bandsaw, it probably took me about 10mins to do all the marking/cutting.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Well done sir! Where's the mounted pic? I believe some bracing and gusset work are in order.

Kepp it up.
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
tdkask

Nice basic technique tutorial. These things seem so simple and basic after you know them, but are the things you pick up early on that help out a new hobby fabricator. Keep 'em coming.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Well done sir! Where's the mounted pic? I believe some bracing and gusset work are in order.

Kepp it up.

Didn't take any finished pics... I just finished up the bumper and shipped it. I do quite a few of these. I've tried to answer the question on how to do the stinger, but had never bothered to take pics. Since I wasn't too pressed for time, I thought I'd shoot some pics on this one..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

I just did a bumper today and normally use the bandsaw method, but today I tried the chop saw with allows for compound cuts and it worked great.
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.