Fabbing a subframe for my bike... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Fabbing a subframe for my bike...

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
Xtant
Currently Depolyed

Fabbing a subframe for my bike...

I've got an idea to "bob" my SV. It's not an original idea, but I don't like most of the ones out there.

First, a couple pics of bobbed SVs:

What I like, but the seat would sit way to high for me:

Very clean and very minimalist. He has probably the nicest example of a bobbed SV.

What I don't like is basically just a shortened subframe. It's not bad, it's just not minimal enough for me. An example:

Here's my plans, I just need to know if it will be plenty strong to support a rider (namely, Me ).

Black and blue are the frame of the bike. White holes are factory mounting points for the factory subframe. Green is a gusset. Red is my new subframe. 1" square tubing is what I'm thinking 1/8" wall. The gussets, 3/16" plate or whatever I have lying around. I'm thinking that should be plenty strong to support my, or anybody else's, ***.

I pull my steel out of the drop pile at one of the local suppliers, so my materials are pretty much whatever is available in the quantity closest to what I need. What would the minimum tubing and wall be that would still be plenty strong?

This will be welded with my shop's MIG.

I hope that's clear as mud

Xtant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Dude, I can't wait to see this...

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
lurkeryj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

sv's rock. i love mine
lurkeryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Let me give you a warning about making it like the one in the first picture....Don't wear anything you care about, you'll fling all kinds of stuff on your back.

Ask me how I know...
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Xtant
Currently Depolyed

I'll putting a hugger on, too. Don't need that much of a roooster tail flying up my back

I'm trying to piece together the parts I need, right now. Budget is slim, but hopefully by mid-summer I can have a bobber.

Here's mine, minus the Poly26 chin:

So...do you guys see any major flaws in my design?
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see any problems with it. Will you be able to use your existing battery tray?
I've seen plenty of things like this done on k a w i f o r u m s.com
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
mudwhoreTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I always thought that "bob" meant battery operated boyfriend???
mudwhoreTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
oteps
1980 CJ5 

Sv's are fun, i race a sv1000 and 650. The second pic would probably work better because you need room for the battery, fuse box, ecu and a couple other things. Where are you going to put the taillight and turn signals? Or dont you need them where you live? It would be easier to get a subframe off ebay and cut it, then reinforce it with a couple tubes. That way you can have an exhaust hanger and put the taillight under it so the cops dont bother you.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
kzjim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkeryj View Post
sv's rock. i love mine
Nice!! I like it

"Beware lest the Stone Age return on the gleaming wings of science." - Winston Churchill
kzjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Xtant
Currently Depolyed

Friday I'm going to buy the steel and get started. One last question. Square tubing, better bent or cut and welded? I cannot bend anything, but I've found a local fab shop that would do the six bends I would need.

What are the pros and cons of bent vs welded?

Just checked on Air filters. Need to go to pod style for room for battery and electronics under the tank. The air filters (one for each throttle body) are $40 a piece

Last edited by Xtant; 03-10-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.