Ever Thought About Cutting The XJ Top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Ever Thought About Cutting The XJ Top?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 09-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
HankyDanky
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Ever Thought About Cutting The XJ Top?

Just ran into a thread on Pirate4x4 about a guy who made a removable XJ top http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8774492 . Was going to make an Exo Cage for the Jeep because all the places I wheel have rocks and Huuuge hills. To roll without a cage would just be bad and dont wanna take that chance. Plus this is far from my DD so on road drivability are not of my highest concerns. If anyone has done any fabrications w/ the top or doors as well lets see em! Trying to get some ideas for this project. Prob will have the top off more than on but seems like it would be a good idea to keep it around. Because once its hacked then say bye bye.

The XJ Rebuild- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1327643/

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
HankyDanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

that my friend is awesome!!!

kinda wish i didn't sell my xj haha maybe ill have to find a cheep one when monies not so tight
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
HankyDanky
1989 XJ Cherokee 

All these views and no one else has ever thought about cutting the top off? lol, Guess I will just have to do it and show you guys how sweet it will be! Going to take welding and fabrication class's before I start getting into it. Wanna learn a little more about body work and have never welded before but have a good friend who is a certified welder and pretty damn good as well so might start it a little earlier, will bribe him with a case of beer. Going to start on the back hatch like in the picture soon and then will go from there.

The XJ Rebuild- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1327643/

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
HankyDanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
BaystateTJ97
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That is probably the most bad *** thing I've ever seen...
Vote for your freedom back on November 6, 2012.
BaystateTJ97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
wil badger

It took that guy a long time to make it happen and make it look as clean as it does.He had to do a lot of fabrication and extreme frame strengthening to keep it all together. Good luck if you do decide to do it.
Unread 10-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
eliassami5
1991 XJ Cherokee 

yea ive been giving ppl links to this build for the past month now cuz i thought it was the best build thread ive ever seen on pirate (in the cherokee section that is)
eliassami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 12:51 AM   #7
jboy416
Wrangler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks good. but as you know the xj is unibody so the roof is probably a major structural part of the vehicle. for this reason convertable cars and such are usually more exspensive due to the engeneering need to strenghten the frame without the support of a roof. if you can make it all come together it would be pretty sweet. kinda like an early 4-runner. looks like he uses the cage to strengthen the frame
jboy416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 01:47 AM   #8
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There was a guy in my jeep club who chopped the rear roof off his XJ, but he added tubing/roll bar to strengthen up the rear. He wheeled it hard and ended up twisting the unibody up pretty bad over the years and has pretty much dismantled it. He managed to blow a ford 9" one time jumping in a mud pit, just to give you an idea of how hard he drives.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
blackblazer92
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i am currently doing mine. not the full top just doors back
project build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-new-cherokee-project-590872/
blackblazer92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.