Drilling, Taping and Machining with Coconut Oil - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Drilling, Taping and Machining with Coconut Oil

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Osmosiz
2000 XJ Cherokee 

and its also really good to eat. i use it to make coconut shrimp and steak all the time lol.

will work for jeep parts
Osmosiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

made some TJ aluminum bumpstop spacers with coconut oil (basically copied my OME's). can show CAD drawings if anyone is interested.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
can show CAD drawings if anyone is interested.
im interested. where can i get a program so i could put some of my own ideas "on paper". and how much would it cost me?
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #19
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
im interested. where can i get a program so i could put some of my own ideas "on paper". and how much would it cost me?

Expensive:
AutoCAD
ProEngineer
Solidworks

Free:
FreeCAD
FreeByte
Lots of links here too.
I've used AutoCAD and Solidworks. I love Solidworks and hate AutoCAD. Haven't learned ProE yet, thats next on the list, but I hear you need to memorize a book of hotkeys to be proficient.

But back to the point of this thread...coconut oil as a cutting oil in machining, drilling and such. It has worked awesome for me so far, but i'm a novice. Has anyone got to tried it yet?
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I can safely say that I tried this last night. It worked great. I slapped it on a drill bit and went to town with the drill press on some holes in 1/4" plate. Worked great. I have a bundle of plumbing flux brushes so one of them worked perfectly for adding more.

the smell wasn't very noticable even in my basement. Although, I did have a craving for Margaritas afterwards.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Still haven't tried it.. although I plan to. I was just waiting to run thru my 2 gallons of TriCool.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #22
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
I can safely say that I tried this last night. It worked great. I slapped it on a drill bit and went to town with the drill press on some holes in 1/4" plate. Worked great. I have a bundle of plumbing flux brushes so one of them worked perfectly for adding more.

the smell wasn't very noticable even in my basement. Although, I did have a craving for Margaritas afterwards.
nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Still haven't tried it.. although I plan to. I was just waiting to run thru my 2 gallons of TriCool.
Get to it!
Unread 06-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #23
JWMII
1978 CJ7 

Been in the trade going on 50 years now and there are many things available for cutting oil. First I had heard of coconut oil.
Also you don't need to be spending 40 bucks a gallon either. Your best bet is a gallon of Rigid pipe thread cutting oil. Black in color, contains a large concentration of sulphur which helps better separate the metal and prevents chip adhesion to the cutting tools and the sulphur is also a lubricant in high pressure situations such as generated when cutting metals. It is also corrosive and depending on what material you are machining you may not want to use it. When you do use it apply it the same way. With a brush out of a container of choice.
Dilute this oil 50% with tri-chlorethane and again brush it on. Works very well. After using sulphur based cutting fluids be sure and clean up the parts and try to eliminate any remaining oils on the parts. Stress corrosion cracking has been known to occur with the use of sulphur base cutting oils. Using it in the manufacture most vehicle parts won't be a problem.
JWMII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #24
JOExFROMxNY
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This has been known for years. Do a search here Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web and read about it. Also see this abstract: http://www.inderscience.com/search/i...ry=&ps=10&m=or
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #25
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMII View Post
Been in the trade going on 50 years now and there are many things available for cutting oil. First I had heard of coconut oil.
Also you don't need to be spending 40 bucks a gallon either. Your best bet is a gallon of Rigid pipe thread cutting oil. Black in color, contains a large concentration of sulphur which helps better separate the metal and prevents chip adhesion to the cutting tools and the sulphur is also a lubricant in high pressure situations such as generated when cutting metals. It is also corrosive and depending on what material you are machining you may not want to use it. When you do use it apply it the same way. With a brush out of a container of choice.
Dilute this oil 50% with tri-chlorethane and again brush it on. Works very well. After using sulphur based cutting fluids be sure and clean up the parts and try to eliminate any remaining oils on the parts. Stress corrosion cracking has been known to occur with the use of sulphur base cutting oils. Using it in the manufacture most vehicle parts won't be a problem.
50 years in the trade. That's a good while to devote your life to something. Where have you worked over the years? Retired yet or planning to?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #26
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
contains a large concentration of sulphur
the whole idea is to get rid of the sulfur based oils and use something that is more friendly to the environment, easy to clean off, non-toxic, cheap and still works just as well.

coconut oil is water soluble and just washes off with soap and water. you can pour it down the drain, rub your face or eyes, let the dog lick it, use bare hands or whatever and not have to worry.
Unread 06-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #27
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yea Pro/E!!

coconut oil sure would smell better than the oil we use in the machine shop for sophmore design!

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #28
JWMII
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
50 years in the trade. That's a good while to devote your life to something. Where have you worked over the years? Retired yet or planning to?
Definitely retired. Started as an apprentice at the copper mines. Worked for General Electric Co. in their Apparatus Repair Div.both in Us and overseas some. Worked in the power generation industry retiring early. Worked in Saudi Arabia right after Desert Storm for their in country power generation co. Had my own business (machine shop,welding,etc.) As an aside had an Rv repair place. Still have the Machine shop with a few machines for my use,store the motor home there and play there doing all my projects. Not enough time to do everything. Stay busy trying.
JWMII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #29
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Definitely retired. Started as an apprentice at the copper mines. Worked for General Electric Co. in their Apparatus Repair Div.both in Us and overseas some. Worked in the power generation industry retiring early. Worked in Saudi Arabia right after Desert Storm for their in country power generation co. Had my own business (machine shop,welding,etc.) As an aside had an Rv repair place. Still have the Machine shop with a few machines for my use,store the motor home there and play there doing all my projects. Not enough time to do everything. Stay busy trying.
Quite a history in the trade. That must have been interesting working in Saudi. Have fun with those projects and enjoy retirement!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.