Doing it PERFECT: Rear tire carrier - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Doing it PERFECT: Rear tire carrier

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #241
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

go to your wall, click videos (or photos) and find the album titles photos/videos of you. should be there.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #242
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

RareCJ8,
Saw your rig in JP runnin Bronco nice rig Mark...
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #243
RARECJ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOISERUNNER View Post
RareCJ8,
Saw your rig in JP runnin Bronco nice rig Mark...
Yes, cool and thanks. Kind of a hidden trail but only 45 minuntes from Reno, near Virginia City. Fun run and the Jp magazine crew are great!

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #244
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Hey Hussler, Just found your build here and read the whole thing. I admire your creativity man, most folks couldn't pull out the build you just did.

I did want to mention a couple of things that I saw to you. I am a professional welder, and I noticed that your welds are looking a bit cold, cold welds do not have enough penetration and are prone to cracking. You will want to keep an eye out on this and if you notice cracks forming you need to pull the bumper. Granted you did take the "there is no kill like overkill" route, so you may be fine. But I'd hate to see that bumper crack apart while you were towing your boat on the highway or something.

I am not sure what you are running for a welder, but for future projects if you are running a smaller machine you may want to look into getting a more powerful one. Personally I am running a Lincoln Power Mig 256, you wouldn't need to go that big, but I would not go any smaller than the Miller/Lincoln 180 series.

Over all though you did a good job of bringing that XJ back around, I'd have honestly scrapped it being as rusty as it was in the back. I think you keep practicing with this stuff and you will be a pretty solid fabricator before too long, you certainly have an aptitude for it. You may also want to check out www.weldingweb.com lots of good information there.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #245
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
here she is opened the other way. i run a factory 1/2 cab in winter sand have never used a full top. i bet with some creative effort that would be possible.

winter mode

That is a very slick Jeep, I hope you don't mind but I shared one of your photos on my facebook page. CJ7 Fanatics

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #246
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

RARECJ8,
Do you have any more pix of the box in your bed? Does that drawer pull out when the gate is open? is it water proof? Make it or buy it? It is just the wife and I and two dogs so I am gonna ditch the back seat and was thinking about doing some type of 6-8 inch high drawer/box that the dogs can ride on top of.
THX Doug
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #247
RARECJ8

Its from Tuffy and I mounted it 4" above the deck to allow under storage. Locks and is water tight. Very strong and supports other gear. Stores all sorts of extra stuff, welding tools, etc etc. These are from several years back-- its much more improved there since but these give the idea. Rig has evolved also...

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #248
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hey mrbeast, yeah I've been welding quite a while now but your absolutely right, my Hobart is not what it once was. It was a great welder when I first got it but it plain old doesnt heat up like it used too. I havent had any welds go bad on this Jeep yet but your right, some were way too cold especially on 1/4", which is why I tend to use 3/16"s a lot hahaha! I'm going to get the miller 211 after I clear up my cards from the holiday season.

As promised video, quite a sweet one too actually! Wheeling a half frozen creek bed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgusNOJWsd8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #249
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

You know if you are going to spend that kind of money I strongly recommend you take a look at the Lincoln Power Mig 256, it is by far the sweetest wire feed I have ever burned with, the power source on it is so incredibly smooth and it makes beautiful welds.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #250
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I would get a bigger machine but I really want the versatility of 115v, the 211 will do both voltages. If you lay a couple beads with the hobart 140 it starts to heat up real nice, and can do 3/16 quite well. I think the 211 will be enough for what I want. I have a humongous miller arc that can do up to 3/4" If need be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #251
RARECJ8

more recent pic of open rear tool drawer

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.