Do It Yourself Overhead Console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Do It Yourself Overhead Console

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-08-2006, 01:58 AM   #1
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do It Yourself Overhead Console

Almost 18 months ago, I saw a thread here about how a guy built his own overhead console for about $20 rather than paying hundreds for a pre-made model. While I cannot find the link anymore, here is a write-up of how I made my own.

The gist of it all is a metal bar used for shelving and two hose clamps (he used U bars and lock nuts I think). From there, a little customization and wiring will let you put just about anything up there. In my case - a CB radio and a really loud PA system. But with a little extra work, you can put just about anything across your rollbars very sturdily for only a few dollars. Mine has been very stable off-road and does not vibrate the equipment badly at all.

VnutZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #2
losfreddy

pretty nifty. need to keep this in mind when i want to add acessories..
losfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Breathe_EZ

Great write up. I've been spending a lot of time in Home Depot lately trying to design my own. Looks like you have some great ideas. How about some top down pics. It's kind of hard to see in the dark. Thanks for the tech.
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"]Geek Offroad Member #1[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273275"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Sienna Jeep Club Member # 3.14159265[/COLOR][/URL]
Breathe_EZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
98TJSport
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i with Breate EZ lets see some more pics of it.
makes me wanna do it to mount my CB up there
Unread 03-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
Masterchief

That was the MOST professional way of doing a write up I've seen. Clear pictures and diagrams, simple, clean. Nice write up.
Unread 03-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
MikeTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice! I've been trying to devise something similar, thanks for the ideas. Quick question, though - does the shelf get in the way of the soft/hard top latches? After looking at your design, I went out and looked at my rig. Seems the latches would hit? And what about the visors, or did you just take them off?

Thanks!
Mike
MikeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2006, 04:51 AM   #7
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just for honest reference, I finally found the original link that inspired my own version - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/cb-mounting-pics-108621/
Unread 04-22-2006, 04:53 AM   #8
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTJ
Very nice! I've been trying to devise something similar, thanks for the ideas. Quick question, though - does the shelf get in the way of the soft/hard top latches? After looking at your design, I went out and looked at my rig. Seems the latches would hit? And what about the visors, or did you just take them off?

Thanks!
Mike
I have not tried it with a soft top, although I have been wondering that myself. The 48" bar only comes halfway across each rollbar and only rises about a quarter inch vertically. As long as the soft top does not touch that, I don't see that it should be a problem. With some strong vises and clamps, perhaps the edges on top of the roll bar could be crimped down to avoid accidental punctures. As for the visors, I have the visors in place and they work fine, the whole bar is about five or six inches from the front (and I've never hit my head on it or the equipment while bouncing off-road).
Unread 04-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write-up, but did you really just tap into the fusebox that way, and then recommend that others do so as well? That is just asking for a fire.

Why not use something a bit more professional, and safer... like a fuse tap. This allows for a better connection that is not likely to fall out or cause a short, and also allows you to easily fuse your new circuit to protect it from overload.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2006, 06:24 AM   #10
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
Nice write-up, but did you really just tap into the fusebox that way, and then recommend that others do so as well? That is just asking for a fire.

Why not use something a bit more professional, and safer... like a fuse tap. This allows for a better connection that is not likely to fall out or cause a short, and also allows you to easily fuse your new circuit to protect it from overload.

It's funny, I posted that fuse picture before I published the article just to see if there was a better way and there wasn't much response. I even tried taking the fuse box out to see if I could plug my wire into the back - but the wiring was so tight I couldn't rotate the fuse box enough. That fuse tap is EXACTLY what I was looking for, but the car parts places [Autozone, etc] gave me the funny look when I described that, nor was it stocked on their shelves.

I tried nocablezone from your link, but I can't find just that item - can you link to one for sale?
Unread 04-24-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
neZZr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnutZ
It's funny, I posted that fuse picture before I published the article just to see if there was a better way and there wasn't much response. I even tried taking the fuse box out to see if I could plug my wire into the back - but the wiring was so tight I couldn't rotate the fuse box enough. That fuse tap is EXACTLY what I was looking for, but the car parts places [Autozone, etc] gave me the funny look when I described that, nor was it stocked on their shelves.

I tried nocablezone from your link, but I can't find just that item - can you link to one for sale?
I got mine from PepBoys. They're usually called "add a fuse" or "add a circuit" or something like that.

I'll be Savvy someday!
Unread 04-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr

Today, I found this item at Napa. It's part number 782-2226, costs approximately $18 and is called an HHH Accessory Mini Add-A-Line. Most of the parts stores do not display it on the shelves, but have them in the back. Just bring the picture with you and the representative will know what you're talking about. My 'technique' has always disturbed me because I knew there had to be a better way! Thanks for the tip.

Unread 04-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
neZZr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

It scares me that a parts rep at the parts store would not be able to find it based on a description of what you want it for.

Glad you got it though!

I'll be Savvy someday!
Unread 04-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
cody11ca
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i love the idea, it just scares me when the top is off and that is exposed so that everyone can see it there, and there is no way to make sure someone cant just rip it out, like the tuffy secures it
cody11ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #15
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quick Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody11ca
i love the idea, it just scares me when the top is off and that is exposed so that everyone can see it there, and there is no way to make sure someone cant just rip it out, like the tuffy secures it
I changed another element since I did the write-up. The power wires running up the windshield panel now terminate at the rollbar with some $2 connectors from Radio Shack. These parts include: Male Connector and Female Connector. Now, when the top is off and risk is high, I can leave the equipment at home by disconnecting the power lead and unscrewing the hose clamps. Complete removal and installation time is down to about three minutes tops. True, that means I can't bring my "road-rage-stress-relieving-PA-system" with me ... but unfortunately, my top is on most of the time.

I am still looking into attaching a rabid, poop throwing monkey to a leash into my backseat to protect all my stuff. I just can't seem to train him to not attack me. And the poop gets messy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.