Do your tire carriers shake ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Do your tire carriers shake ?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Do your tire carriers shake ?

Ok let me explain my set up. I've got a zj first off. Then I made a rear bumper for it. The main structure is 1/4 inch thick 2x2. Off of that is 1/4 inch plate then the parts that are around the wheel wells are all 1/8th inch. I have a 1/4 lazier cut double sheer bracket for the trailer spindle sleeve and bearing assembly to sit in which is then bolted together with a 1" grade 8 bolt. The tire carrier is 3/16th 2x2 and 1.5x1.5 construction. The latch is a 1/2 inch threaded plate with a 1/2 grade 8 bolt. All is welded well not professionally but well. There is no slop in the hinge. All the movement seems to be the actual 1/4" metal flexing around the hinge point. Everything is also trussed up inside the bumper.

I showed a local offroad fab guy my work and he said all seems up to snuff and that actually a little shake isn't bad because that means the energy is transferring to the metal not the welds where if it was a ridged system it would transfer more energy to the welds. I trust his knowledge because this guy does full on chassis builds and has his own line of tire carrier systems for many jeeps and other offroad rigs.

Now when I mean shake it is a very quick slight shake and it is only when I go over major bumps like bridges on highways at highway speed or if I physically hit the tire with a quick firm strike.

I just wanted some more opinions from the fab guys here. And if it needs to be sured up or not I guess is my main question. I'm just a little uneasy with it I guess. I've had it and maybe put 1500 miles on it with no problems other then the shake.

And here is a build thread of the bumper and tire carrier the first page explains the bumper and the last page is the tire carrier part to help make sense of what I did.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...nally-2447337/

Thanks for reading.

Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
83cj8
1983 CJ8 

I didn't see a build thread in your post. Sounds like most tire carriers in that they all shake a bit when you go over a bump. The way I solved this in the couple that I have made it by using what I call a bump stop. On the tail gate of all TJ's there are these little rubber mounts that keep the tire from shaking while it is mounted to the tail gate. You need at least one of these rubber things. I got mine from a jeep dealer and it was about $20.00. You will not mount it to your tailgate on your rig. You will mount it to the backside of your tire carrier. You need to drill a hole in the back side of your tire carrier as high as you can prior to contact with the rear window. What you are going to do is to weld in a nut into the backside of your tire carrier that the rubber bumpstop will thread into. By using a couple of nuts and some washers you can set the distance that the rubber bumpstop is from the tire carrier. You want the bumpstop to press on your tailgate just hard enough to make solid contact as you secure the tire carrier latch to the bumper.

Hope this helps.

karl
83cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Ok great thanks that's what I was imagining in my head I was just concerned with the structural integrity of the lift gate and I just realized I didn't post the link. Il edit that.
Unread 08-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

most of them do shake/rattle.
Unread 08-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Ok I went out drilled a hole in the highest point of the tire carrier tapped it with a 1/2-13 tap and took one of the old bump stops from where the tire was stored originally and lucky for me it just fits in the new location and I bolted it up and adjusted it. Thanks for the input it now only shakes a minuscule amount then what it used to.
image.jpg

Unread 08-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
83cj8
1983 CJ8 

Nice work.
83cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Thanks it hardly even moves anymore over bumps on the highway I'm much happier with it now and less leary of the whole contraption being back there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.