DIY Transmission Jack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > DIY Transmission Jack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Line58
1998 TJ Wrangler 

DIY Transmission Jack

What do you think of this design for converting a floor jack (pictured below) to a transmission jack? I'm planning to begin building this tomorrow, so any comments/suggestions on how to improve the design would be greatly appreciated. Note: Diagram is not to any scale.

The idea is to remove the cup on the jack and replace it with the above bolt-on adapter. The body of the adapter will consist of a wide piece of steel channel (1/8"?). The purpose of the adj. bolts and the free-floating stage is to allow for fine-tuning of the position of the transmission (with coarse adjustment of the transmission position being accomplished by placing blocks/wedges under the transmission).

Last edited by Line58; 02-22-2013 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Add explanation of diagram.
Line58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
KnoxsTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

sure it can be done simple enough and it does work pretty well. I've made one out of screwing sheetmetal and 2x4s into a bastard child offspring that I've used 4 seperate times.

Or you can go the route and just buy one.

google images for "floor jack transmission adapter" there are lots of style right at the top.
KnoxsTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
KnoxsTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looking at the diagrams that just popped up, one thing I'll urge you to keep inmind is if you (most likely) are leaving the tcase attached, it really throws off the center of balance. it can be managed by angling the jack to the drivetrain but then that defeats the purpose of being able to slide the assembly out of the flywheel. If you're making your own, I'd recomend to have an offset attachment point, and a safety chain to keep it from wanting to rotate along the ds axis in the adapter.
KnoxsTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.