DIY Swing out tire carrier Bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > DIY Swing out tire carrier Bumper

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 10-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Ala05Unlimited

DIY Swing out tire carrier Bumper

I have ordered all my parts to build a swing out tire carrier bumper. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how you built yours or what you may have done different or added...Post pictures if you like...Thanks

(OIIIIIO) Real Jeeps have round headlights
Ala05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ummm if you've ordered your parts don't you already have the plan in mind. Not like you can change it too much your you'll have to order more parts.

I would look at different tire carriers availabe to buy and see what you like and don't like and go from there. I went with Jeeperman and really like how its built. If I was building from scratch I would base it off theres.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Ala05Unlimited

Yes I have all my ideas planned out. I am going to have it mount to the tail gate on a hinge system, two Jerry can mounts, Hi jack mounts, CB and KC light mounts.

Unread 10-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
dr hook
1996 ZJ 

heres mine, but it's bumper based.

Unread 10-12-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Heres mine I built from 1/4" materials. Its now for sale

Unread 10-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
jonzer12
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am not quite sure I understand, you said you were going to build a "swing out tire carrier bumpber that mounts to the tailgate". DO NOT mount your planned jerry can moutns, etc to the tailgate, build it off the bumper has the tailgate can't support much weight.
jonzer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
dieseljeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala05Unlimited
Yes I have all my ideas planned out. I am going to have it mount to the tail gate on a hinge system, two Jerry can mounts, Hi jack mounts, CB and KC light mounts.
When you get your parts, go ahead and throw them in the garage & let them collect a little dust. You haven't done nearly enough homework yet. Save yourself money, heartache & trouble and wait till someone can put you back on track.
dieseljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

At the top of the Fabrication Forum main page there's a sticky about a rear bumper buildup. The writeup is decent but the guy who wrote it is a real jerk sometimes.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
The writeup is decent but the guy who wrote it is a real jerk sometimes.
I noticed the same. It seems like the moderator of this forum would ban those type of poster/posers. bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Ala05Unlimited

Now, about mounting to the tail gate. The bumper will be mounted in the stock location, but I am adding a bracket to the tail gate. This giving it more support and hopefully stop the rattling that is common with swingout bumpers. I been doing my homework for awhile, just though I could get alittle more input.

Unread 10-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
Psyker

Build it right and you wont need anything except the spindle and the latch.

Personally I used a screw-type latch when I built mine (cherokee, so no tailgate points to use) with rubber grommets at the screw. I have had no rattles, vibration or anything like that.

Rattles come from poor design, measurement and construction. Take your time, make tolerances close, weld well and you wont have problems.

'96 Green XJ SE - I6, AX15, NP231, 2.5" Lift

'90 White YJ - 4 squirrels spinning a toothpick (i4 w/ax5) - WIP
Psyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
Ala05Unlimited

Thank you...

Unread 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer12 View Post
I am not quite sure I understand, you said you were going to build a "swing out tire carrier bumpber that mounts to the tailgate". DO NOT mount your planned jerry can moutns, etc to the tailgate, build it off the bumper has the tailgate can't support much weight.
On my rig, '78 CJ 5, I built a security locker box that I've bolted to the floor in place of the rear seat (who can fit on that rear seat anyway) and my oversize rear tire mount bolts through the sheet metal tailgate to the locker box that is supported from the floor of the Jeep. (Note my CJ doesn't have a tailgate)
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #14
jesseleikerjeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
At the top of the Fabrication Forum main page there's a sticky about a rear bumper buildup. The writeup is decent but the guy who wrote it is a real jerk sometimes.
I noticed this as well...and his hands are always all "grinding wheel'd" and dirty....
jesseleikerjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
CMOfoSHO
1999 TJ Wrangler 

im buildin a tire carrier soon these have gave me a good picture for it. thanks guys
CMOfoSHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.