DIY Center Console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > DIY Center Console

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
RocknRubi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

DIY Center Console

So I have been snoopin around the forums for a while now and couldn't find a TJ center console build from scratch, so heres mine.

First Stage: Design and mock up.

Step 1: Design
Here is the initial plans I drew up. Deviated slightly from them as you will see later, but I corrected the measurements on the drawings so they should be correct.

I have'nt started on the front half yet, but I will add it soon.

Step 2: Mock up

Materials needed:
Plans
Cardboard
Scissors
Tape (I used Duct Tape)
Pencil
Tape measure/ruler
Speed Square
Jeep
and of course some tunes

I started with looking at my sketch and cutting it to fit the space in the jeep and eventualy came out with this:

Then test fitted it

Finished mock up... minus a few panels that I will fine-tune as I build it.

RocknRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
MudHoundJK
Still Playing in the Mud

1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks good
MudHoundJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
redjeeprunner1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

looks like it will be a cool center console
redjeeprunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
RocknRubi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Stage 2: Build

I took a look around the garage to see what I had laying around and came up with this:

Turns out this stuff was the best material for this project. Strong, but as thin as the cardboard was that I used to mock up the console, so the measurments were almost dead on.

3/16" 24 X 48 SRV TEMP HDBD
and
2x2, about 8 feet of it.

Both together I think cost around $10 at Homedepot.

Then gather tools:
Circular Saw
Work bench
Clamps
Pencil
Tape Measure
Speed Square
Straight Edge
Drill and bits (countersink bit)

Ran to Homedepot to get some hardware because I didn't have enough at home.
Picked up some countersink screws:
#8x 1-1/14
#6x 3/4
^100 ea
hinges x4
"Cam Lock"
for around $20

Cut pieces acording to plans and model

Started putting the pieces together. I cut small blocks out of the 2x2 for the corners

Then I measured the angle over the e-brake and cut that out of the center wall

Then mounted it to the console

Working on lid right now hope to have it mounted tomorow along with some finishing touches to the main console.

Thinking about hurculining it like the rest of my tub, think it will look ok?
Unread 01-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would just paint it black or your interior color gray with something water resistant.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

I look's really good. I like the design, simple, clean and easy!

Curious as to why you didn't go about 2-3 inches longer?? Just looking at the profile, you could have gone longer in the rear? Just a thought !

I too think black for a color as well !! If you have the OEM console, you could use the same hinge and lock with the new one your making.
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
RocknRubi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prd_cdn View Post
I look's really good. I like the design, simple, clean and easy!

Curious as to why you didn't go about 2-3 inches longer?? Just looking at the profile, you could have gone longer in the rear? Just a thought !

I too think black for a color as well !! If you have the OEM console, you could use the same hinge and lock with the new one your making.
I wanted to keep some space back there so my oblivious passengers don't put their foot through it by accident. Also I wanted either a cup holder or mount a cb on the back, but we shall see what happens down the road. Or maybe I can "add on" a section for something. Good point though, ill be thinking about it.

The color will be black, and I don't have an oem, but i did this instead. It's kinda rough for now but ill seal it all up and put a pad on the top so you wont see the stop blocks.

More pics soon. Will be starting on the front half on Wed, update then.
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

looks great! i'll hopefully be building one as well once my overhead console is finished
Unread 01-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
MudHoundJK
Still Playing in the Mud

1997 TJ Wrangler 

updates????
MudHoundJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
RocknRubi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well here is where Im at as of tonight.

Started on the front half of the console. It took a lot longer to mock it up than I expected. It was a challenge to make the pieces line up because it's on the transmission "hump". I had to cut a curve into the bottom of the front panel to make it work.

Materials List:
Same as above

Tools:
Same as above
&
Jig Saw

Here's the mock up, sorry no plans yet, they are being written as I go. When I finnish I will put up the full schematics in word format.

Here's the curve

Spent some time with the jig saw for this part

Curve in place

I'm going to make a cover for the exposed T-case shifter above.

Also got my 3 way cigarette lighter adapter today, its going in the space in between the rear console and the front half.

Thats all Ive got for now, more soon. Unfortunately I won't have much time to work on it this weekend as I work through sunday, but I will try to post some progress anyways. For sure back in the lab on monday, but till then here is a list of things Im going to do:

Spackle the cracks to seal the consoles.
Install 3 way adapter
atach cover to rear console
Mount pad to lid
and still alot more

In other news I will be recieving my ruged ridge sport seats by the end of the week. Hopefully everything will fit!
Will post picks when they are in.
Unread 02-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
RocknRubi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update: Got my seats on friday but finally got some time to install them today... Which took FOREVER! The instructions that came with the bracket adapter was so broad it was easier to just try to put the thing together by looking at it. Although I did finally figure it out, they took quite a while. So here are some shots:

All in all I am impressed with the seats. For the money, there is no other seat like them. Vinyl, wheel type reclining mechanism, and a nifty lever that operates the tumble function of the passenger seat with relative ease. They are much more comfortable than the stock 97 seats, and the bolsters keep you in the center of the seat at all times.

Yes I did make some progress on the console, but very little. When I mounted the passenger seat I found that the console was indeed to wide. but it was remedied fairly easily by just triming it down. The only progress made today on the console was some cross bracing, and started on the 4wd t-case close out. More to come soon.

Unread 02-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wait, is this going to be made out of metal? Or are you sticking to wood?

Looks good so far.
crem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
tri486
2000 TJ Wrangler 

not to put you down or anything but if you made it out of wood couldn't someone break into your center box real easily? Looks great even for wood..
Unread 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

I like your design and great job so far. I am also using wood for mine with a few twists. I would suggest that you use some fiberglass to strengthen it up a little. Plus you can get some good shapes doing that. Here is a picture of mine. I am still trying to figure out the stereo mount to where it opens and closes for more security. Also here is a good sight for Fiberglass info.

Fiberglass Forums - Powered by vBulletin

All I used to get the shapes was an old white t-shirt and some hot glue to hold it in place. It really does add alot of strength to the structure.

Unread 02-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
RocknRubi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it will be out of wood. Im not concerned too much about having someone break into my console. If they realy want my stuff they are going to get it. Locks only keep honest people out;-) the scews will be covered though. Its just to hold my junk and keep it out of sight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.