Die set size dilemma - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Die set size dilemma

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Dumpsterfish

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Die set size dilemma

So I'm happy with the JD2 model 3, and want to dig in on a couple projects-tube doors, roof rack, rock sliders, flat fenders, etc.

Have limited funds, and can't decide whether to pick up the 1.5 or 2 inch die first. 2 seems necessary for sliders, but 1.5 seems right for everything else.

So my question is: could I make a decently strong rock rail out of 1.5" .120 wall? Anybody done something similar?

'13 JKUS...SOLD
Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I started with a 1 3/4" die first. Used it for a couple cages and sliders for Toyotas. Then when a couple guys wanted 1 1/2" tube fenders I had them buy the die and I just bent it up and welded them , and kept the die.

Sent from my XT881 using JeepForum
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
I started with a 1 3/4" die first. Used it for a couple cages and sliders for Toyotas. Then when a couple guys wanted 1 1/2" tube fenders I had them buy the die and I just bent it up and welded them , and kept the die.

I agree.... 1.75 die is what I did first as well. It's a great middle of the road die for many projects. I think the only project you mentioned I wouldn't use the 1.75 would be for tube fenders as it may be a little big for some applications.
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Dumpsterfish

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm, hadn't considered that size. 1.75 .120 wall stand up to abuse in the rocks, ya think? If so, I think that's the move
'13 JKUS...SOLD
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterfish View Post
Hmm, hadn't considered that size. 1.75 .120 wall stand up to abuse in the rocks, ya think? If so, I think that's the move
Ya it stands up to some pretty heavy abuse.

Unread 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Dumpsterfish

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, thanks for the advice.
'13 JKUS...SOLD
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

1.75 x .120 wall is some pretty tough stuff. it is a very universal size.

and i have seen some people sleeve their 1.75 die with some 1.75 x .120 wall tube to basically make it into a 1.5 die. bend a piece of tube, cut it lengthwise in half and use the inner half to sleeve the Die down, and use a small straight piece cut in half on the shoe. weld some little tabs on the end to keep them in place, and you have turned your 1.75 die into a 1.5" die. Granted, it would be for limited use but it does work if you only need to bend 1.5 every once in a while.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
1.75 x .120 wall is some pretty tough stuff. it is a very universal size.

and i have seen some people sleeve their 1.75 die with some 1.75 x .120 wall tube to basically make it into a 1.5 die. bend a piece of tube, cut it lengthwise in half and use the inner half to sleeve the Die down, and use a small straight piece cut in half on the shoe. weld some little tabs on the end to keep them in place, and you have turned your 1.75 die into a 1.5" die. Granted, it would be for limited use but it does work if you only need to bend 1.5 every once in a while.
This, but I made out of 1.5" to bend 1.25". Works perfect just use more WD40. I don't weld any tabs I just let the pressure of the die clamp the tube in place and bend away.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Dumpsterfish

2001 TJ Wrangler 

1.75 ordered and on the way. Now for a trip to the metal supply place...
'13 JKUS...SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.