Dez Racer XJ build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Dez Racer XJ build

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #121
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch

Yours is one of the few rigs on here that I'm jealous of.
Thanks a whole bunch, I really appreciate the kind words. It has been a long and expensive road but you know what they say about racing: "The only way to make a million dollars racing is start with 3 million." Obviously this is not on that scale but this has been all out of pocket so far, but the time and effort far exceeds the monetary input IMO. Hope you all had a merry Christmas and a safe new year!

Not sure on the weight but it should be close to 4000lb when done, we will have individual wheel weights as soon as all the fuel/spares/tools are in place for shock valving. If it breaks the 4000 lb mark it will have to have the main hoops made from 2"x.120" DOM, so I will do everything I can to keep it under that mark, else redo the main hoops which is not an option at this point.

Thanks again guys, look forward to the shake down run.

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #122
Gravesdiggerxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

nice build chris! I've been following it on NAXJA but haven't checked it in a while. Keep up the good work. Seeing your build makes me want to finish. Mine has flat-lined for almost a month.
Gravesdiggerxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #123
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravesdiggerxj
nice build chris! I've been following it on NAXJA but haven't checked it in a while. Keep up the good work. Seeing your build makes me want to finish. Mine has flat-lined for almost a month.
Thanks man, it is hard to get motivated sometimes, it is really easy to get discouraged but I just keep forcing myself to get little things done at a time as most of it is just that, a huge collections of little things. Good luck!

Well it is raining here so can't get too much done but luckily all the parts for the F9" came in so I can get it all set up, 5.29 gear set, 35-spline spool, I really like the simplicity of the Ford 9", it makes it VERY easy to set up gears, you set the pinion bearing pre-load independent of the carrier, it only took me three times to get the right pre-load, first time I started with a .005" shim and there was way too much pre-load, went to a .008" and there was not enough(around 8in-lb),I didn't have any shims that were halfway between the two and finally had to use a .075" shim along with the crush sleeve eliminator, torqued the pinion nut to 175 ft-lbs and waallaa, ended up with 14in-lb which is perfectly in spec(13-15in-lb), now onto setting up the carrier backlash after I cut up the old carrier bearings to use as a plug to press the new set on.
Chris

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367176
Unread 01-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #124
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

more rainy day fun this weekend, assembling all the fuel lines, pump and filter, and made the straps for the fuel cell, believe it or not those straps took me the good half of a day to make, 18-gauge cold roll.
Cheers

Unread 01-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #125
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 01-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #126
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

cell is in

window nets mocked up

Unread 01-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #127
White92
1984 CJ7 

Looks very cool. I went to the monster truck show last night and now I want to make something like that. lol

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Club Member #238[/COLOR]
[url]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/traviswhite92/DSC07176.jpg[/url]

[B]Hemi Club member #17[/B]
White92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #128
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hey great looking build. gotta love 2 door xjs
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #129
99XJburton
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow crazy build..props man. Your talented to say the least. Things gonna be nice!
Unread 01-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #130
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys, got a business trip to Boise on Monday so have been busy making preparations but thought I would post up a pic of the new UMP air cleaner assembly, going to try and plumb it up before I leave but it is looking doubtful, too much to do.
cheers
Chris

Unread 01-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #131
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good.

I was reading your build here, and was wondering what it'll look like in action. I never really seen a jeepspeed race, but anyways I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dU9M055RlU

Wow!

You'r gonna have a killer time in that rig!

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #132
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, should be lots of fun, and also time and money but I am looking forward to trying it out.

Been in Boise for work all week so haven't got much done, this weekend should be a flurry of activity though, weather providing. Don't mind the rope, that is the custom trans mount

Unread 01-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #133
vitaminwater
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow dude, just wanted to say that this is an awesome build and an awesome thread. Can't wait to see this beast in action.

[CENTER]4.0 I6|5 speed|D30, D44 Posi|OME Steering Stabilizer|Homemade Discos|Riddler Diff Covers|31x10.5 Firestone Destination M/T[/CENTER]

Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577509[/url]
vitaminwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #134
atomicjoe23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullver View Post
I'm working on it, really sucks having to work with all these parts cluttering up my office begging to be installed. broke a part of my tube bender this las weekend so i got the new part and am going in head first this coming weekend, gotta prepare for my 6 brand new Maxxis Bighorns to show up on the 9th, had to remove the front end and fab up some shock mounts, tons of small details to address:
doesn't really look like $4k+ worth of parts does it?

I wish my office looked like that!!!
atomicjoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #135
ProMod1385
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Too bad your not in MN. I worked in ProMod Drag racing and know a thing or two about fab and race prep, i would love to give you a hand. The jeep speed class intrigues me and it might be the best way for me and a couple of buddies to race at Baja I am thinking if we built one here in MN we could keep it in AZ at my families vacation house and travel for races.

I noticed a dialog about halon systems a couple pages back. If you can afford them and they don't push you over your 4K weight limit i would say to go for one! I have seen a couple guys burn up $100,000 race cars because there class didn't require halon and they were not running them. (one was a supercomp car and the other a fast door car) I had one crewman's daughter accidentally hit the lever in the garage and set off the bottle one time, it was a mess so make sure you keep the cotter pin in the bottle when not racing the car. Otherwise they are cheap piece of mind both from a $$$ point of view and from a safety point of view.
ProMod1385 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.