Dez Racer XJ build - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Dez Racer XJ build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #226
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

just a a few more things before we start it up.......almost there!

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #227
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

got the battery selector/disconnect mounted up(.095" 4130 plate I had around) and did a little custom upholstery on my center console to get rid of some of the hard edges, turned out ok, probably end up redoing it later on down the road after we get a few races in.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367176
Unread 10-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #228
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

worked into the wee hours last night, got a few more things done:
HID's all mounted and ready for some connectors so we can easily remove it:

Got the Novak 231 shifter kit all mounted up and configured, took me a really long time to get all the bends right and able to shift through all locations without interference, probably would have been easier to do it before I did all the tube work in the cab, oh well, maybe next build.....yeah right!
I still have to build a little gate and a small guard for it, when we run the 2wd beam we will just remove the shift rod so nobody gets confused

shifter in 4-lo

shifter in 2-hi

Unread 10-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #229
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

i know you are keeping the option of running 4 wheel... but with 5.13s in the 9" will you be able to? i thought the deepest you could gear a 30 was 4.88... correct me if im wrong...

and i just read this thread all the way through... man im jealous! beautiful TIG work by the way!
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #230
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

THANKS! It is actually mostly mig welded, I'll be messing around with a tig here soon though!

I have another 3rd member already set up with a spool and 4.88s for 4wd( you are completely correct as far as 4.88 is the deepest for the high pinion 30), but I am going to be looking into a new housing for the front, still not sure on make as the hp d44 may eat up too much compression travel, we will run it for now and see how it goes. The case with the 4.88s is actually a stock small bearing case with conversion bearings/spool to run the 35-spline shafts, most likely we will not race with this case as it is a potential grenade but really the 9" is so simple to set up that it should only take me an hour or so to set up the 4.88s on the currie 9+ case when the time comes, I do know that 4.88s will not be optimal so something will need to be done eventually.

Last edited by skullver; 10-15-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Unread 10-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #231
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

wow well then really really good MIG work... very impressive...

Ive done a lot of stailess steel fab and learned to weld with a tig... my mig welds def dont look like that lol... but i hardly ever mig...
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #232
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks a bunch, much appreciated!

Got a few things done today, the guard for the trans case shifter and the rear two mounts for the hood pins.

Unread 10-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #233
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Might be a dumb question , or you've mentioned it already, but are you gonna be the driver?

My buddys neighbor builds Baja trucks. The one he's currently working on is funded by the guy whos going to race it. So Im just wondering if you're the fabricator and the driver.
Unread 10-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #234
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsJeep View Post
Might be a dumb question , or you've mentioned it already, but are you gonna be the driver?

My buddys neighbor builds Baja trucks. The one he's currently working on is funded by the guy whos going to race it. So Im just wondering if you're the fabricator and the driver.
Not a dumb question at all as most of the racers buy pre-built or at least mostly pre-built. I simply couldn't justify the huge cost of doing that, labor alone would have cost as much as my welder and tube bender I would think, I will be driving the majority of the time, if we ever make it to the baja 1000 then we will need multiple drivers. Whoever does the driving aside from me will have to have a hefty deposit in place in case he wads the truck so we can repair it.

Wouln't mind seeing a few pics of your buddy's work if you can swing it.
Chris

Unread 10-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #235
JerseyJeeper
1995 ZJ 

omfg...this thing is so amazing, i give you major props. i dont think anyone could do it anybetter
Unread 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #236
teenycar

Do you have any pics of how you routed the art carr shifter cable and how you attached it and the mods to the trans. arm? Thanks
teenycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #237
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenycar View Post
Do you have any pics of how you routed the art carr shifter cable and how you attached it and the mods to the trans. arm? Thanks
I left the camera at home but I can get some tomorrow. I had to mess around with the adjustments both inside the shifter itself and also I had to lengthen the stock arm on the trans by about 3" hole center to hole center for the linkage to get all the gears where they should be, the arm hangs down just a tad lower than the exhaust right now but that is about the only way I could get the throw correctly, it was a pain as we already had the trans installed, one of those things that would have been a million times easier if it were out. I may mess with it a bit more if I think about it but right now it shifts, I'll get you some pics of the arm and the shifter configuration tomorrow. The cable has a 180* bend and loops from back to front, it was barely long enough.
Chris

Unread 10-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #238
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullver View Post
Not a dumb question I will be driving the majority of the time, if we ever make it to the baja 1000 then we will need multiple drivers. Whoever does the driving aside from me will have to have a hefty deposit
Dang, I was just getting ready to PM you with my inseam size.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #239
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

One of my favorite build threads of all time.

Now.. get back to work!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #240
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullver View Post
Not a dumb question at all as most of the racers buy pre-built or at least mostly pre-built. I simply couldn't justify the huge cost of doing that, labor alone would have cost as much as my welder and tube bender I would think, I will be driving the majority of the time, if we ever make it to the baja 1000 then we will need multiple drivers. Whoever does the driving aside from me will have to have a hefty deposit in place in case he wads the truck so we can repair it.

Wouln't mind seeing a few pics of your buddy's work if you can swing it.
Chris
Cool......It seems only natural to me that you should be the driver after all the work you've done with it, I mean, you know all its nooks and crannies from the ground up. I myself cant wait to see it finished .

About the Baja truck, its my friends neighbor who's doing the work and if I get a chance to take some pics, I'll definitely PM them to you. He's quite the fabricator/mechanic. He built a bad *** neon green dez bug and won an engineering award for it......Pretty impressive stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
One of my favorite build threads of all time.

Now.. get back to work!

This ones a gem .

Last edited by GibsJeep; 10-20-2008 at 10:45 PM..
GibsJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.