Dez Racer XJ build - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Dez Racer XJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #211
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

got the new shock mounts done, and the lower bump pads, cycled everything and dialed in the limit straps:

and now the front suspension is almost done, doing a bit more to the trackbar mount but not until we get the motor back in for a custom removable brace, but after that we are actually done with the front!

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #212
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

finally its coming together

as stated before..awesome jeep and i look forward to seeing it done.
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #213
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got an update for us? You've had to have made some headway since the last update.
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #214
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

sorry about that, lots of small non-photogenic stuff going on, the laborious task of putting it all back together and triple checking clearances, decided I hated the hard line in the fuel system and went to all -an fittings and stainless braided(just have to assemble the hoses). Also finished up my removable track bar brace and the center console is taking shape, I still have to add tabs to make it removable and make a hole for the battery selector switch and emergency power off. Should get lots done this weekend as I'll have a few helpers.
cheers
bulkhead and fittings for the floor, 90* go to motor

trackbar brace

center console work in progress

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367176
Unread 07-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #215
FutureJK

probably a stupid question, but I'm not at all familiar with off-road racing. You may have also covered this and I just missed it. Are those tires just regular Bighorns? It just seems like you'd have to have racing specific tires or something after watching those youtube vids that were posted. I also just think of the BFG Baja T/As when I think of that type of use. Thanks, and awesome build
Unread 07-13-2008, 12:04 AM   #216
-XJguy-
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Freaking XJgasm looking at that thing....once again great job.
Navigator for Team#11 Hurst/Olds on Spike TV's Bullrun. The real winners.
-XJguy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #217
purpleliftedxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the most amazing jeep is being built right in front of our eyes!!
this forums amazing cant wait to see the finished product
purpleliftedxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #218
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks a bunch guys! it is much appreciated!!

There are no stupid questions, the bighorns are not special, I got them off of ebay, got a great deal on 9 of them, anyways for jeepspeed we are allowed to run only certain brand tires, I forgot all of them but I believe they are Mickey Thompson, Maxxis, BFG, Interco(new sponsor?), and goodyear, they sponsor the series in some manner but only BFG offers special prices for racers that I know of. The rules state you can run max tire size of 33/12.50/15 without exceeding the max trackwidth of 74.5" at the widest point. That being said you see alot of the Maxxis Bighorns, Goodyear MT/R, and other off the shelf tires out there also, but the most popular are the BFG BAJAS(not dot approved, only available to racers and very expensive), BFG Projects(same deal but even more expensive and only available in 35/37/39/40 with 17+" rim size for the big boys), Goodyear Yellow label projects("), and Cooper has just come out with a dez racing specific tire that seems to be doing well.

The most popular tire is the BGF baja T/A 33/10.50/15 but I just could not afford them at the time and have had great experiences with the bighorns with the guy we were chasing for before we cracked off on our own, he never had a flat the whole time with the bighorns, I won't mention other tires

Anyways it looks like after some testing miles we will be selling the whole lot of bighorns for a set of the Baja T/As for the simple reason of pit support. BFG has the very best pit support hands down, you can drop off fuel, tires, parts and there will be somebody to fill you up/fix you at most every race, and get you back on the way, this is especially important for small self-funded teams such as ourselves, and almost mandatory for races such as the baja 1000 unless you have a huge support crew. Not to mention the tires are definitely proven and spares from other racers will be readily available, and vice-versa.

Going to Arkansas for the weekend so probably no updates until next week sometime
Cheers!

Unread 08-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #219
funinmud
1998 XJ Cherokee 

any updates?

98 XJ on 32's and 2-3" lift, locked, armored, and ready to rock.
funinmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #220
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funinmud View Post
any updates?
been really busy lately with family and work, and also getting my other jeep ready to sell, still have some work to do but somebody should be happy with it:

As far as the race truck, just doing the tedious in-cab wiring loom, battery disconnect, center console, finished the brakes, wiring the start button, getting the motor ready to run..just lots of small details that take lots of time. Everything is custom so there is lots of small details that need to be addressed, I think once we have it dialed in though it will be much more reliable/easy to troubleshoot than the stock wiring. I will make sure and get some pics posted up soon, still wondering if I need to put the trans cooler on the ceiling, running out of room.

Thanks
Chris

Unread 08-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #221
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sick XJ Brah

Maybe I'll see you at Baja. Me and Buddy are builing a Pre-runner out of a totalled 1997 Yota 4Runner. Luckily its all out of his pocket, I just get to ride along....

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #222
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrailratedJ View Post
Sick XJ Brah

Maybe I'll see you at Baja. Me and Buddy are builing a Pre-runner out of a totalled 1997 Yota 4Runner. Luckily its all out of his pocket, I just get to ride along....
very nice, those are expensive to build right, coilovers? Long travel? 4x4?

Well no real updates on the race truck but I finally sold my other jeep and picked up a 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4, the new tow rig. The next on the list is to get a trailer and then we will be ready to do some testing!

Unread 08-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #223
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullver View Post
very nice, those are expensive to build right, coilovers? Long travel? 4x4?
We are planning on doing 2WD for our first run. A SAS will probably come later. We are planning on running a Total Chaos Long travel kit up front, haven't really thought much about the rear yet. He bought a totalled 1997 4Runner for $850, mostly front end damage. We cut away most of the sheetmetal, and are planning to build a subframe to hold all the new fiberglass fenders and front end. We got the engine running again, and it doesnt seem like there are any issues with it. Our goal is to be in Baja in 2009, 2010 at the latest.

Good luck to you, that XJ is awesome. You have some sick fab skills...

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #224
steezy92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

moooo' pictures! Thing looks amazing, can't get my eyes off it.
steezy92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #225
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys! Been working 6 full days a week for a while now so the jeepspeed is very neglected right now, had a chance yesterday to do some more plumbing, firesleeving, mounted and plumbed the trans cooler(sorry for the crappy pic, I have a tarp over the truck right now). I got the driveshaft and hopefully won't have to work this Sat so I can actually put in a full day on the truck. I swear if I had one complete week to work on the truck it would be done, but with my family and work schedule 7 days of working on the truck means 7-weeks for me

On to the pics:
still have to secure them obviously

fire sleeving;

cooler:

some shaft:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.