Dez Racer XJ build - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Dez Racer XJ build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #181
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like your getting closer to completion. Im anxious to see it here on the board when its all done.

I'd also like to add that the fab work you are doing is just incredible! It cant be said enough.

Unread 05-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #182
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsJeep View Post
Looks like your getting closer to completion. Im anxious to see it here on the board when its all done.

I'd also like to add that the fab work you are doing is just incredible! It cant be said enough.
Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

Been really busy with work but found some time to knock some stuff out. The motor is all apart and getting disassembled right now, just waiting on a cylinder head, thing is going to run like new or better. It will be running very soon!!!
Finally tackled the driver side motor mount, it took me two days to think about it, cut out little pieces to box everything etc etc. That side is most likely to fail from the loading conditions as the trackbar mount is attached to the motor mount, as the trackbar pushes the uni-rails out the motor mount stretches and being as there is a dimple right at the most stressed portion to allow for clearance of the steering shaft, it is almost guaranteed to fail at one point or another if not addressed, I don't think I will ever have a problem with that anymore.

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #183
jimbosz07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just have to take this moment to tell you that your welds are simply amazing. I guess with all that practice it's hard to be bad...
jimbosz07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #184
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosz07 View Post
I just have to take this moment to tell you that your welds are simply amazing. I guess with all that practice it's hard to be bad...
Thanks much! lots of practice, all different positions/thickness...and most important meticulous prep, the cleaner it is and the better the fit, the easier to weld..generally. Sometimes it is just so hard to get comfortable in certain circumstances, I have tons of scars all over from slag while upside down, falling everywhere, yes, everywhere you can imagine! I have finally learned to just keep welding through it, of course having a buddy ready with a fire extinguisher and wet towels is a must

Got the mounts done for the driver side fresh air pumper and moving on to the trans cooler, may mount it on the ceiling and cut a duct, or maybe the side windows but we'll see how it turns out. Brand new cylinder head showed up and it should be back together by monday

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367176
Unread 05-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #185
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

a few more pics:

buttoning up small details like ballast mounts for the (4) 9" Hella 4000 HIDS

Unread 05-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #186
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

another pic with lightbar, the two middle lights are pencil beams and are pointed down a bit more than the euro-beams(the two on the ends), we have alot of adjustment built into the rack(the upper support has an adjustable heim joint to control tilt front to back) and the lights themselves so we should be able to dial them in pretty quickly.

Unread 05-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #187
GibsJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullver View Post
another pic with lightbar, the two middle lights are pencil beams and are pointed down a bit more than the euro-beams(the two on the ends), we have alot of adjustment built into the rack(the upper support has an adjustable heim joint to control tilt front to back) and the lights themselves so we should be able to dial them in pretty quickly.
Looking great!!!
Unread 05-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #188
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'm going to have to ban you soon if you keep slacking!!

I really like that pic of the rig.. we've been seeing lots of brackets and pieces but now it's looking like a race truck! Super job!

...now... log off of the computer.. and get back to work!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #189
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That 9" is built up perfectly. I love how you can swap b/w 2wd and 4wd...

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #190
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

This thing = 2wd. No front Differential.

Lookin sweet. Cant wait to see it in action
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #191
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. If I had it my way I would work in it every day, but I only wear the pants on Saturdays when my wife pulls them out of her purse We have a 2-yo daughter and a 7-week old son who is unfortunately colicky so I spend alot of my free time helping her out, can't imagine what she goes through when I leave for work. Soon enough the daughter will be in pre-school and I may be able to get another work day out of the wife, we'll see. Thanks again guys, I am taking the next two days off of work to button up the motor so I will post some pics when that is all over with and I am sitting at home wishing I was working on the truck.

Unread 05-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #192
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthteddy View Post
This thing = 2wd. No front Differential.

Lookin sweet. Cant wait to see it in action
Oh we have a 4wd front end all right, completely chromolly and heli-arc welded throughout, built by famous fabricator/racer Kurt LeDuc, should be some pics of it earlier in the thread.
edit, here you go:

Last edited by skullver; 05-07-2008 at 11:06 AM..
Unread 05-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #193
JoeHo

WOW. I just read through this whole thread, and now I want more, haha. Can't wait to see this beast in action. Amazing build!

2001 XJ - commuter for a while
JoeHo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #194
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks much! Picked these guys up, just waiting for them to get here now. So we have 3.0" x 14" travels in the rear now and these are 2.5" x 10" travel 3-tube bypasses, only cost me a kidney and a leg, hehe, I got them for $1350 which is, believe it or not, about $500 cheaper than from SAW. So a total of $3450 in shocks and hydraulic bumpstops alone I better take a good look at all the shock mounts again with all that coin hanging off of them.

patching all the little holes in the firewall and just tons of small bracketry, safety crap to finish up, motor is ready to go back in! details details. Also the wife and I celebrate our second anniversary tomorrow so won't get back to it for a bit.
Cheers and have a great weekend.

Unread 05-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #195
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I thought I had it bad with $500 a corner in coilovers...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.