Dez Racer XJ build - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Dez Racer XJ build

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #166
WCBROOKS
1988 XJ Cherokee 

ur xj is making mine suck

WCBROOKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #167
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCBROOKS View Post
ur xj is making mine suck
Aw come'on, I'm sure your rig works for what is is intended for! Better than the rig I had when I was 16, that is for sure, reads: bicycle/skateboard/ and the bus when I had to go too far

Took the day off of regular work and hammered out the main truss and the upper control arm plating, .125" 4130 plate and 1.5"x.120 4130 tubing, and my buddy got the rear brakes plumbed up and ready for pressure! I still have to plate the trackbar mount, lower control arm brackets, build shock mounts, this time 2-3" lower, and build a front ramp/skid for the beam, still working on the design of that portion.

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #168
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is that a one off beam that you guys came up with, or is that a pretty typical design?
Unread 04-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #169
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
Is that a one off beam that you guys came up with, or is that a pretty typical design?
I built the first one similar, most I have seen do have a bottom truss design though as ground clearance is not as big of an issue, the cleaner way may have been to find a piece of 3/16" wall chromolly that would fit inside the tube and be plug welded all over, I opted not to do this for a few reasons, mainly I couldn't find any tubing that did not have to be milled down slightly from the od to fit inside, not to mention it would have been very hard to set the beam up in my drill press, and mainly because I needed to truss the lower inner-c anyways so it seemed to be a logical solution to me. I am planning quite a bit more tie-ins from truss to beam, and a nice skid or ramp, possibly removable but we'll see when I get to monkeying around and see what comes up. I tend to stray from my original plans alot as things proceed and issues arise, or as I see things differently, or get opinions from others which is usually the best as it is hard to step out of my box and see things objectively sometimes.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367176
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #170
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I got to regular work really early and got enough stuff done to be able to skip lunch, and keep working on the beam, goal is to finish it tomorrow, looks like a long day.

I have been working my bandsaw really hard lately and it finally got a bit tweaked during the first cut of the first plate, really threw me off for a second on what I was going to do, instead of messing with it I opted to go back to my roots and cut all this out with a sawzall, a set of hole saws for the curves, and some 4.5" grinder wheels, and cutoff wheels of various thicknesses(of course patience and some cussing). The main plates are 3/16" 1018 cold roll finish plate and the dimpled plates are .095" 4130 chromolly plate, very hard to cut and dimple, but adds the stiffness I need. Back at it early tomorrow, off to see the fam and hope the wife is not too mad

Unread 04-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #171
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

got one shock mount all fitted and welded up, it was a lot of work to get it just right but I think it turned out pretty good. Gotta thank my partners Bird and Squirrel for powering through this with me, yes those are there nicknames, we were dubbed team Animal by another jeepspeed team and think we may be sticking with that.

I just pulse welded the dimpled plates on(as you can see by the dimple in the middle of each little spot) but dragged the puddle back over the previous to make sure there were no voids or cold lapping, not that it really matter that much as those are not a critical part, the rest is full continuous welds with really good penetration, turned the power and wire feed down and welded really slow so there was plenty of penetration on the 2.5" beam itself while not undercutting the thinner parts.
Cheers

Unread 04-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #172
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

shock mounts DONE(still have to clean it up though)! now on to the next headache, probably not until next weekend though
cheers all!

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #173
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks great
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #174
WCBROOKS
1988 XJ Cherokee 

so how much longer until this thing makes its first race?
WCBROOKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #175
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys! Testing will begin shortly and depending on how that goes, racing asap. There is still a lot to do and time is short right now but getting there:

Unread 04-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #176
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullver View Post
Thanks guys! Testing will begin shortly and depending on how that goes, racing asap. There is still a lot to do and time is short right now but getting there:
What did it take to get that frame brace on there? Is that an off the shelf part, or something you guys built?
Unread 04-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #177
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
What did it take to get that frame brace on there? Is that an off the shelf part, or something you guys built?
That is the RE trackbar/mount/brace, it is sort of a joke how it mounts on the psngr side, really thin stuff fore of the motor mount, I plated that whole area so at least now it is around 3/16" thick there, still have some fitting to do but most likely I am going to cut it and add a removable coupling so it can be welded to the trackbar mount, which is welded on, and still have most of it removable.

got the battery boxes in, still have to decide whether to just weld them in or go through the hassle of making them removable for whatever reason, most likely they will be welded for piece of mind. Also got the cylinder head off and ready for a bit of re-working, I leave that stuff to my buddy, mopaul he likes to call himself. While it is out I have some more plating and bracing to do to the driver side motor mount, and tie bumps to the cage. Should have the motor back together by next weekend and ready to fire up!!

Unread 04-18-2008, 11:44 PM   #178
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Damn good lookin'.

Do you have any idea how much she weighs? Or have a ballpark guess?

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #179
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_1994 View Post
Damn good lookin'.

Do you have any idea how much she weighs? Or have a ballpark guess?
Thanks much, should come in just under 4000lb with out fuel, if it breaks the 4000lb mark then SCORE mandates that the main cage hoops be 2" x.120 DOM, which it is not so we will make sure it is under weight

Got the batteries in and the fuel lines all plumbed up and ready to be wired up and start shooting fuel.

Also whipped out some new rear lower shock mounts, 3/16" 1018 cold roll, I am going to do some overlays around the outer plates/bolts of some .125" 4130 plate just to make sure they never fail, the shocks are $$$$ and quite heavy.

Unread 04-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #180
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Man.. I love this thread! Great work! Inspirational!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.