Ok, I finally got the Mombasa RTT and took it to BMRA this past weekend. I welded some cross bars to the top of the trailer to temporarily hold the RTT. I hope to have the lid finished this week and then have the trailer painted by the end of the weekend. We'll see how that goes! Here are some pics:
I had the day off and I chose to take advantage of the beautiful weather! I picked up the lid from the metal shop first thing this morning. I spent most of the morning riveting the bottom tubing on.
I then cut the rest of the tubing and riveted it. I still need to find someone with a TIG who can put some stitch welds on it to make it a little more stable. I laid down on it and it feels really sturdy! Tomorrow I'll be finishing the paint prep and installing the hinges on the trailer. I've already got the latches so I'll install them too. I hope to hit it with some primer in the AM. Depending on the weather, which is supposed to be a breezy 74 degrees (God I love Texas), I might be able to get coat number one on in the afternoon.
Well the build is slowly coming to a close. I spent most of the weekend painting! Very tiring but I'm very pleased with the final result.
I bought a cheap paint gun at Northern Tool and it made the paint job look really nice. It didn't atomize as fine as I would have liked but the texture ended up looking really good. I used Rustoleum primer and a black and red enamel (gloss). The red enamel actually matches the Jeep perfectly, which was nice since i didn't have an option to tint it. Sorry for the crappy night shots, I'll take some more tomorrow! I'll put the RTT on tomorrow too and take some final shots of it behind the Jeep.
I'll start making plans for the guts of the trailer this week.